Ready to make a racket

Senior Maria Biryukova volleys during a match against San Francisco at the outdoor tennis courts on April 18, 2015.

The women’s tennis team heads into 2015 looking for its sixth-straight winning season.

The team finished last year with a record of 13-12 to give them their fifth consecutive winning season. The last season where they did not finish with a winning record was 2010, where they finished the season 12-14.

Even though the Cougs finished last season with a 13-12 record, they had a 3-7 record in the Pac-12. Conference play has been a struggle for the Cougars in recent past. In the last 17 seasons, the WSU women’s tennis team has only had one winning record in conference. That winning record came during the 2011-2012 season when they finished the season with a 6-4 record in Pac-12 play and an overall record of 19-7.

The roster is rejuvenated for its upcoming season and includes several talented freshmen and an impressive transfer. Senior Trang Huynh is a transfer student from Troy University. Last year at Troy, she went 19-10 in singles matches. That record, plus her play at the No. 1 position, helped to earn her the Conference Player of the Year honor. Her other accolades include a bronze medal at the Southeast Asian Games and being a member of the Vietnam Federation Cup team.

Other new recruits include freshmen Aneta Miksovska and Barbora Michalkova, both of whom are from the Czech Republic.

Miksovska was ranked in the Top 100 in Germany, where she reached a high of 75th during her junior career. She also reached the finals in the under-18 tournament in 2014, and in the previous year she made it to the semi-finals.

“We are thrilled to welcome these three exceptional young women to the Cougar family,” said Head Coach Lisa Hart in a press release. “Each has worked tirelessly to earn their respective success and to develop their tennis skills to compete at the Pac-12 and national level.”

The team also has several established returners.

Sophomore Donika Bashota finished last season with a team-leading 57 combined wins from her singles, doubles and dual matches. Her record last year also earned her the honor of winningest freshman in WSU history and tied her for third in most combined wins in a single season.

Other notable returners are senior Lize Leenknecht and sophomore Holly Monahan.

The team gets started at the Cougar Classic on Sept. 11 in Pullman.

Reporting by Alex Clark