Soccer heads into Pac-12 play undefeated

Senior forward Elyse Bennett has scored a goal in three consecutive games

SERENA HOFDAHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-sophomore defender Mykiaa Minniss fights off Montana player as junior defender Brianna Alger watches on Aug. 20, 2019 at the Lower Soccer Field.

DAYLON HICKS, Evergreen reporter

The WSU soccer team (3-0-0) scored an impressive 3-0 win against the Vandals (0-2-0) Friday night in the bubble.

Junior defender Mykiaa Minniss got the night started as she scored in the first 45 minutes on an assist from senior midfielder Sydney Pulver and freshman midfielder Marin Whieldon.

Minniss’ score on Friday was a reminder of the Elite Eight game against the South Carolina Gamecocks last year, where she scored the game-winner in overtime. She now has her third career goal, one in each season, and her second career game-winner.

With the 1-0 start, the Cougars started adding pressure on the offensive end. However, the Vandals defense refused to give in against the pressure, even tallying a defensive save on a shot by senior forward Elyse Bennett.

Bennett would not be denied on scoring yet another goal for the season as she got it to go in at the 76-minute mark. She was assisted by sophomore forward MacKenzie Frimpong-Ellertson. The goal marked Bennett’s third of the season.

This is the first time in her career she scored in three consecutive games. The last Cougar to accomplish this goal was the All-American Morgan Weaver who scored in four-straight games as a junior.

On the defensive end, the Cougars picked up their first shutout of the season, allowing just five shots and just one shot on goal in the final minute, which was saved by senior goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto. She has 20.5 career collegiate shutouts, 19.5 of them coming in her three seasons at Texas Tech.

The night ended with freshman forward Margie Detrizio scoring in the 89th minute. She managed to boost her presence as a stand-out among freshmen in the Pac-12, scoring a point in her third-straight game after notching a goal for the second consecutive match.

The Cougars are 13-1-0 all-time against Idaho, winning their 13th-straight against the Vandals. The Cougars also have outscored their opponents 9-2 in three games on the year, giving up only one goal in the run of play.

The Cougars begin Pac-12 play at 7 p.m. Friday against Utah. The Cougars beat Utah 4-1 last season as Morgan Weaver pulled off two goals, with Bennett and sophomore forward Grayson Lynch both adding to the tally.