WSU holds open house with President Floyd’s family, faculty and students

Carmento Floyd embraces an open house attendee on Tuesday, June 23, 2015.

The Washington State University community gathered at the president’s residence to offer their condolences to the Floyd family on Tuesday afternoon. 

Carmento Floyd, Elson S. Floyd’s wife, was the first to greet those walking through the door.

Whether it be a handshake or hug, Mrs. Floyd made sure no guest was forgotten.

After a few brief greetings and thank-yous, Mrs. Floyd said a few words to the crowd of guests.

“We leave on Wednesday. The service will be this Saturday in Elson’s home town,” she said.

As the realization that the residence is being vacated, attendees truly began to feel President Floyd’s absence.

A mix of emotions filled the room as family members and those close to President Floyd shared their memories of him.

Smiles and joyful conversation filled the room.

Many talked about how President Floyd showed genuine interest in students and their life goals. Others remarked on how, with his kind smile and outgoing attitude, he was always approachable.

Whether it was talking to one of Presidents Floyd’s family members or with one another, the assembled offered kind thoughts and reminisced on the late president.

“He was the greatest man I’ve ever known. It’s amazing how much he valued education. He always led by example,” said Darren Floyd, Elson’s nephew.

“For all those who didn’t meet President Floyd, you meet him once and he’s your bestie,” said Dan Bernardo, WSU provost and executive vice president.

Additionally, Bernardo explained how the University will continue to move forward.

“We will be moving forward full speed ahead with all of the major initiatives and we will keep focused on many of the student-centric initiatives that are in place,” he said.

“No one can replace Elson. I know what Elson wants to do and I know what he would want us to do moving forward,” Bernardo said. “It will be his hands on our shoulders from here on out.”

Bernardo also explained that this is a time where everyone needs to support one another.

“The main message I have for students at this time is to take the time to grieve the loss of our leader and hang together like Cougs always do,” Bernardo said.

It was clear at the open house that WSU benefited from President Floyd’s leadership.

It showed on everyone’s faces this afternoon.