WSU students lead on-campus memorial service for Elson S. Floyd

Carmento Floyd attends the on-campus, student-led memorial service for her late husband, Elson S. Floyd, on Monday, June 22, 2015.

As the students, staff, faculty and those who had the pleasure of meeting Elson S. Floyd arrived, quiet chatter filled Glenn Terrell Mall.

ASWSU President Adam Crouch began the student-led memorial service for WSU’s former president and the crowd fell silent.

Hundreds of individuals gathered to pay their respects to Floyd, including his wife Carmento Floyd and his son Kenneth Floyd.

Crouch started the service by thanked the crowd for attending and sharing memories of Dr. Floyd.

“Dr. Floyd was definitely one of the best presidents or administrators I’ve worked under as a student. He always loved listening to students,” Crouch said. “He embraced this as the Number 1 aspect of his job and for that I am very thankful.”

Crouch spoke about memories he had of working with Floyd and the passion and enthusiasm the president brought to his job. The speech elicited an emotional response from the crowd, bringing some to tears.

Melynda Huskey, Interim Vice President and Dean of Students, also shared her memories of Floyd.

“When we come together in times of grief and sadness, to support one another, to remember the things that mean a great deal to us, that’s the kind of inspiration President Floyd instilled in all of us,” Huskey said. “It’s a time that will be tough not only today, but going forward as well. People are here to carry his legacy forward and to serve the students in the way Dr. Floyd would have.”

Huskey said Floyd’s vision was to make Washington State University a better place.

With each story that was shared, the crowd reminisced on the fond memories of Floyd.

Dan Bernado, acting president, was the final speaker at the event. He emphasized he is not a replacement for Floyd, because in his eyes, no one can do that.

“WSU is going to move on because that’s what Elson would’ve expected,” Bernado said. “Elson was the student’s president and he loved you guys. The reach out over the last two days has been amazing and we thank you for that.”

“Elson was not only a champion for Cougar nation, but he was a champion for higher education throughout,” Bernado said.

Additionally, he mentioned that a formal recognition for Floyd will take place sometime in August, when fall semester starts and students and faculty return.

Members of the Cougar Marching Band, orientation counselors and colleagues of Floyd spoke at the memorial, offering students’ perspectives on how the president affected the Cougar experience. The stories the speakers told gave the attendees a chance to reminisce about experiences they had with Floyd.

The memorial service finished with a moment of silence along with the Washington State University fight song, which President Floyd had taken part in so many times before.