A walk down memory lane with Senator Kohl-Welles

I am heartbroken over the death of WSU President Elson Floyd. I’d so hoped he would recover and be back at the helm of his cherished university.
I first got to know Dr. Floyd in 1993 when I was a new legislator and he became Executive Director of the Higher Education Coordinating Board. As Vice Chair then of the Sen. Higher Education Committee, I enjoyed getting to know and work with him.
I was disappointed when he left the state for other higher education positions, but was delighted when he returned to become WSU president in 2007.
Elson was one of the rare human beings who had the ability to appreciate everyone. He was eminently gracious but also strong, even forceful, in communicating his priorities.
Legislation granting authority to WSU to operate a medical school was in large part a reflection of Elson’s superior communicating style and prowess. It was definitely not an easy accomplishment and I doubt it would have happened without his active engagement in the process. He seemed on a mission that included a 100-percent commitment and confidence that he and others would prevail.
I’m certain to not be alone in hoping the new medical school will bear his name.
In 2008, I saw first-hand another side of Elson. WSU had deep concerns about legislation of mine enabling student employees at WSU to engage in collective bargaining in the same way as authorized to UW student employees.
WSU was definitely not enthusiastic in testimony in public hearings on the bills and I was working with its staff on amendments. But by the time the House bill, sponsored by then Rep. Steve Conway, passed the House, Elson surprised me when he let me know in advance that he wished to testify on the bill himself in the Senate Labor & Commerce Committee which I chaired.  He subsequently did so and in support of the bill.
He spoke eloquently about having come from a working-class family with a strong union background and how unions made a difference to his family’s livelihood. But the bottom line was that he believed that WSU student employees should have the same benefits in their positions as was the case with UW student employees. His testimony was powerful and assured the bill’s passage.
Always a gentleman and a man who could relate to people of all backgrounds, Elson embodied an academic who did not isolate himself in the ivory tower, but rather worked to bring an increased number of students to the ivory tower, in particular, low-income students, underrepresented minorities and students who were the first-ones in their families to attend college.
He embraced and furthered WSU as a university that values excellence, high standards, inclusiveness, and democracy for all. Elson walked the talk, so to speak, on these issues, most pointedly on educational equity and social justice.
We should celebrate this unique individual’s life, and we will, but it’s going to take me a very long time to get past the grief over the passing of this most accomplished education leader and my friend.