Liquor, Laws and Learning

Focusing on inviting students to join the conversation about alcohol and drugs, The Daily Evergreen will host a panel tonight from 5-7 p.m. in the CUB Auditorium.

Christine Rushton, editor-in-chief of The Daily Evergreen, said the first part of the panel will give the speakers the opportunity to introduce themselves and speak on issues. The dangers of drugs and alcohol, the laws and policies on campus and in the community regarding these substances, and how the community should approach prevention are all topics up for discussion.

“It’s not about a full stop or a full ‘no,’ it’s about reaching out when you need help,” Rushton said. “It’s about knowing the leaders and authority figures on campus aren’t there to get you, but to help you.”

The second half of the event will focus on audience members, who will have the opportunity to ask the panel questions about any concerns or thoughts they might have, she said.

Rushton said she will moderate the panel, which consists of WSU President Elson S. Floyd, Health and Wellness Director Bruce Wright, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Expert Stacey Hust, Pullman Regional Hospital ER Director Stacey Aggabao, ASWSU President Taylor Hennessey, Alcohol Task Force member Bob Cady, ADCAPS Director Cassandra Nichols, and WSU Police Chief Bill Gardner. 

“It’s a pretty well-versed group across the university as well as the Pullman community,” Hennessey said. “I think they all will gain a nice perspective on our situation.”

Hennessey said he hopes the panel will be an opportunity to receive feedback from students, as well as to assess where students and the university stand on the issue of alcohol and drugs.

Cady, also the owner of The Coug, said he has a realistic view regarding alcohol laws and policies.

“I think most important is that education is more valuable than prohibition,” he said. “At the end of the day, prohibition is a failed concept, and education is proven to be successful.”

Rushton said The Daily Evergreen was inspired to voice the alcohol issues meaningful to students after the alcohol-related death of Kenny Hummel last fall.

“This issue is not going to be solved by authority figures laying down the law, but by inviting the entire community into this conversation of, ‘how do we keep each other safe?’” she said. “Continuing the conversation will continue the change.”