Track gets bit by UW

Track gets bit by UW

WSU redshirt freshman hurdler Abu Kamara runs in the Men’s 110 meter hurdles during the Cougar Invitational on Mooberry Track & Field, Saturday, April 25, 2015.

A few individual performances were silver linings for the Washington State Cougars Track and Field team on Saturday as it lost a dual meet to the University of Washington.

The UW women defeated the Cougs 99-64, and the men 113-50.

“I was disappointed in the team scores,” Head Coach Wayne Phipps said. “I knew it was going to be a difficult challenge on the men’s side as we were missing so many key guys.”

Redshirt Senior Bia’una Watley broke a 28-year-old meet record, running the 200m dash in 23.35 seconds. The original record was 23.81, and it was set in 1987 by WSU’s Pam Qualls.

“I was so happy I started crying,” Watley said. “After the turn, I just told myself to keep pushing and not to give up.”

On the men’s side, junior Thane Pierson won the high jump with a PR height of 7-feet, 1 inch. Junior Terrance Chambers won the 200-meter dash with a PR time of 22.09 seconds. Junior Daquon Brunson also won the 400-meter hurdles with a PR time of 55.92.

On the women’s side, Christiana Ekelem set a PR and won the 400-meter dash with a time of 55.49. Bree Winfrey was about a second behind her at 56.48. The 4X400 relay team, which consisted of Winfrey, Ekelem, junior Dominique Keel, and senior Erin Allen, won with a time of 3:46:53.

Next weekend, the Cougs will compete in the Pac-12 Combined Events Championships at UCLA’s Drake Stadium. Sophomores Dino Dodig and Alissa Brooks-Johnson are expected to compete in the decathlon and heptathlon, respectively.

Reporting by Beau Baily