A virtual doctor’s appointment, teaching sex education

Anonymous, technological platforms are proving to be effective in health communication among teenagers, eliminating uncomfortable face-to-face conversations.

Jessica Willoughby, assistant professor of health communication in the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication, is assisting a health study in North Carolina. BrdsNBz is a service provided by the Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Campaign of North Carolina (APPCNC). Working with communities to educate teens about health and responsibility, APPCNC is the state’s leader in preventing teenage pregnancy.

People are encouraged to ask any questions they may have regarding sex, relationships or their bodies via text message. Within 24 hours, sex health educators will provide accurate answers confidentially.

The service began in 2009 with advertising on sites like MySpace, which at the time was the best way to reach teenagers.

“It’s really prompted by curiosity,” Willoughby said. “Some questions are general. Others are much more specific, and you can tell this situation had actually happened.”

After examining more than 2,000 students in six North Carolina schools, Willoughby found that teenagers using the service most are more likely to be sexually active, to have had a relationship and to come from a lower economic background.

Willoughby’s research is one of many projects at the Murrow College studying the influence of mobile technology in health communication.

Porismita Borah, assistant professor in the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication, used a mobile app to research the drinking habits of undergraduate students at WSU. After downloading the app, volunteers would be prompted by reminders to fill out a short survey before, during and after drinking.

By operating in real time, Borah said she hopes to use her app to gain an understanding of the drinking dynamic of local students.

While her research is currently in progress, she said the focus groups she has conducted expressed interest in a mobile app that would act as a tool-kit for a night out.

Complete with taxi information, drink tracking and reminders to slow down after a certain number of drinks, Borah’s app would help maintain a safe drinking environment.

“People are on their phones so often, it’s really the perfect opportunity to tap into their interest,” Borah said.

Assistant Professor of Communication Ryan Risenmay said anonymous services like BrdsNBz and Borah’s mobile app are effective because they lower the user’s guard.

“If you’re in a small community, there can be stigmas that prevent the discussions,” Risenmay said.

He said teens are interested in avoiding face-to-face contact when dealing with subject matter like sexual health, and prefer a low-pressure platform they are used to, like their phones.