Leadership awards

At the closest thing to the annual White House Correspondent’s dinner to be found in Pullman, students clad in shirt and tie gathered to applaud this year’s winners of the President’s Award for Leadership.

After a short reception in the CUB Senior Ballroom, student and faculty leaders received awards for their mentorship and enhancement of the community. The Leadership and Engagement Awards of Distinction (LEAD) is an annual celebration of WSU student leaders, and the inauguration of next year’s ASWSU and GPSA president and vice president.

Current ASWSU President Jared Powell took the stage to discuss efforts to enhance campus life during his tenure, including plans for the New Old Bookie and improvements to campus technology, as well as off-campus housing searches.

“It’s been a monumental year for ASWSU,” Powell said, “It is important that we recognize these students’ achievements, because I know we would not be where we are without them.”

2015-16 ASWSU president and vice president-elect Adam Crouch and Kyle Geiger took their oath to office, becoming officially inaugurated. After a short speech thanking their family and mentors, incoming GPSA president Melanie Thornton spoke briefly. Then, President Elson S. Floyd took the stage, with a story.

“Sometimes in life, there are surprises,” Floyd said, surveying the room. He told the story of the birth of his grandchild, which he witnessed in person due to a flight delay. He then explained what leadership meant to him.

“Most people think inwardly,” he said. “Ask questions. Understand that you are a part of something larger.”

Floyd stressed the importance of taking the initiative to move forward and improve partnerships.

“I hope you understand the impact that your leadership brings to so many lives,” he said.

After Floyd’s speech, students, faculty, and organizations including the College Hill Association, White Spring Ranch and Alternative to Violence in the Palouse received the award for their support and opportunities given to students.

Community organizations awarded were the College Hill Association, White Spring Ranch and Alternative to Violence in the Palouse.

Student organizations were next – the winners were the Association for Bangladeshi Students and Scholars; the Biology Graduate Student Association; Marketing Club; Black Graduate Student Association; Neuroscience Club’ Muslim Student Association; STAGE Student Theatre; Professional Pharmacy Student Organization; Entomology Graduate Student Association. The Equestrian Club won Sport Club of the Year, the Sportsmanship Award went to Women’s Ice Hockey, and the Club Member of the Year award went to Allison Thomas on Cougar Crew.

Faculty and staff were also awarded. Steve Austin, Carolyn Long, DJ. Mackie, Rayna Sage, Lipi Turner-Rahman, and Francene Watson were all recognized.

“We can accomplish more together than we can alone,” said Berto Cerrillo, assistant director of Student Involvement.

Next, 44 students from a wide variety of disciplines and backgrounds were awarded. Accompanied by excerpts from their letters of nomination, awardees posed for a picture with President Floyd and their engraved glass prize.

The 44 students who won awards were: Cornelius A. Adewale, Abdelhadi Basheer, Rebecka Bence, Elizabeth Bernhardt, Rodrigo Bonilla, Michael T. Burley Jr., Christopher Campbell, Nathan Cherzan, Ericka Christensen, Rachel Christensen, Charise Paulette DeBerry, Kyle W. Geiger, Temo Goncalo Henriques Graca, Calley Hair, Courney A. Himes, Douglas Hoston Jr., Leoma James, Davi Kallman, Garrett Kalt, Ashley Kopetzky, Zach Lipanna, Anastasia Mackert, Elizabeth Mann, Joseph William Martin, Antonio Martinez, Herman Meier, Sree Saroj Sainath Panchagnula, Kristen L. Pratt, Julian Reyes, Susanna Afra Maria Rijkhoff, Sean Rogers, Breanna Shores, Vanessa L. Sing, Sarah Elizabeth Temple, Kayla Titialii, Cori Uddenberg, Kenna Uddenberg, Jansen M. VanderMeulen, Katie L. Walsh, Logan N. Webbenhurst, Taylor D. Winslow, Connor Wolcott, and Lauren Rachel Young.

Lastly, the Virginia E. Thomas scholarship was awarded to ASWSU Vice President Kyle Geiger. The $1,000 award is given to students who exemplify Thomas’ values of leadership, coaching and mentorship.