Wake Up WSU: March Against Ignorance

Washington State University students, faculty and staff participated in the March of Ignorance, an event aimed to raise awareness about equality on campus.

More than 250 Washington State University students, staff and faculty members marched across campus at 4:30 p.m. today in a protest event organized by the student liaisons of WakeUpWSU.

The event, March Against Ignorance, began at the French Administration building and ended on Colorado Street, in the heart of Greek Row, behind the sorority Alpha Chi Omega.

Leaders from various student organizations walked beside each other while chanting demands for change, equality and unity. Staff and faculty members trailed along in the back of the march.

Both students and organizational leaders held posters that had words such as “All Cougs need to feel safe here,” and “#mysafetyisnotforsale,” among others, painted on them.

A police escort safely led the group across campus.

Once the march concluded, a party was hosted on the park grounds. Catered food, music and a brief presentation by student leaders was provided.

The party was intended to be used as a way to celebrate equality in an inclusive environment, said Olivia Snow, one of two program coordinators. It was to be used as an opportunity to spend time with others and spark a discussion.

“This isn’t going to end all of the ignorance on campus,” she said. “But it is a good start.”

Executive members of the Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council and the United Greek Association were present for the event. ASWSU President-Elect Adam Crouch and Vice President-Elect Kyle Geiger were also there to show support.

The Residence Hall Association, Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation Resource Center, Graduate Student Assembly, and Young Christian Women Association, among others, had representatives present at the event.

Look for a full story in The Daily Evergreen on Monday.

This story has been updated for factual accuracy.

Reporting by Lance Lijewski