Step-by-step: seeking medical care after a sexual assault

FROM STAFF REPORTS

After a sexual assault, seeking immediate medical attention can be necessary.

“There’s quite a few (health) concerns as far as being sexually assaulted,” said Jennifer Dalton, Nurse Manager for Health & Wellness Services.

One medical concern relates to the physical aspect of sexual assault, such as strangulation or genital injuries, Dalton said.

Health & Wellness is fully equipped and prepared to perform a forensic evidence collection kit, colloquially referred to as a rape kit.

A forensic examination is a head-to-toe assessment that looks for any kind of evidence, she said.

“By coming here, the person has many options. So, you can do the full exam, and that’s where we look for forensic evidence,” Dalton said.

However, Dalton specified that students don’t have to do the full exam.

“We let them tell us how they want to proceed,” Dalton said.

Completion of the kit includes STI testing and drug testing for substances such as date rape drugs. The kit also collects photographic evidence of trauma and swabs the body for saliva, semen, vaginal secretions, bruises or hickeys, and skin cells under fingernails in case there was a physical struggle, Dalton said.

“(Forensic collection kits) can be collected up to about five days after,” Dalton said. But effectiveness is improved the sooner the kit is completed after an assault and is most effective within 72 hours of an incident.

At Health & Wellness, students are not fiscally responsible for a forensic examination.

“Any part of the assessment, students do not have to pay for,” Dalton said.

Due to the criminal nature of a sexual assault, the Washington State Crime Victim Compensation Program applies to the forensic examination service.

The program was created to help victims with the costs associated with violent crime, according to the Washington state Department of Labor and Industries.

If the Washington State Crime Victim Program paperwork does not cover the entirety of the cost of a forensic examination, patients can fill out a health fee refund petition form at Health & Wellness.

Students who have suffered from a sexual assault and want to pursue medical care can walk in to Health & Wellness at any time during operating hours or call ahead.

“If you’re not comfortable being vocal and expressing your concerns to the front desk, we always have our nurse that is staffed here at the hours we are open, with the exception of our weekends,” Dalton said.

Health & Wellness has a confidential room and the women’s clinic inside the building. Clinical staff usually clears out the women’s clinic so victims have a safe, secure area to complete the forensic exam, Dalton said.

Dalton said students can bring a friend with them to the appointment, and they also have the option of having an advocate from Alternatives to Violence of the Palouse (ATVP) present for support and to explain the clinical process.

After a visit to Health & Wellness following an assault, Dalton said they generally call the patient the next day to do a welfare check.

Students will often have a follow-up appointment because some of the STI testing cannot be completed immediately after an assault, and also to follow up on any health concerns.

Health & Wellness Services is a confidential resource for students 18 years or older, and presence at the clinic cannot be disclosed to any person without written consent from the patient.

Reporting by Hannah Street