ASWSU selects next year’s staff

The ASWSU 45th Senate made final preparations for the 2015-2016 academic year, voting on a new executive staff and senate pro-tempore.

Last week, president-elect Adam Crouch and vice president-elect Kyle Geiger introduced 17 individuals chosen for next year’s executive staff to the Senate. The two later decided against having a Pullman City Council Liaison position, which would have been filled by current Assistant Director of Student Life Logan Dozier.

Of the remaining 16 potential executive staff designates, 14 were confirmed by the Senate. Marlo Pettie and Ben Varin, the assistant director of communication-designates, did not receive votes of approval.

Some senators felt that the two were unqualified for the position, and expressed concerns about them not being communication majors.

Crouch and Geiger noted that other members of the executive staff are not majoring in a field that pertains to their position on the staff, including Corbin Poppe, the director of finance.

“We don’t want three of the same kind of people on staff; three people in the college of communication who have taken the same classes,” Geiger said. “We want to diversify the communication staff to diversify ASWSU’s communication with the student body.”

Brian Shuffield, the director of Student Involvement, addressed the Senate saying he also feels Pettie and Varin proved to be the best fit for the job.

After another ten minute executive session, the Senate stood by its decision to not appoint Pettie and Varin.

“I’m a bit concerned, because now one of our more important departments is down two people,” Crouch said. “That and Kyle and I won’t be able to provide students the voice and transparency – two things that come directly from the communication department – we promised during our campaign.”

The positions will remain vacant until fall semester when the position is re-opened for application, or until Crouch and Geiger bring Pettie and Varin back before the Senate. Until then, Crouch is ready to get to work with those that were appointed to the executive staff.

“These 14 are the most qualified people at Washington State University for these positions,” he said. “Everyone is really motivated and they’re going to do amazing things for the school next year.”

Arts and sciences senator Emily Strode was unanimously voted to be the senate pro-tempore. Strode was running against education senator Shaylen Sharp, who had to miss the meeting for personal reasons.

The Senate also unanimously approved the budget for ASWSU next year and appointed chairs for various student organizations.