Honoring Dina Williamson

Two hundred students, family members and staff dressed in black gathered on Glenn Terrell Mall Thursday evening. They held candles and flowers in their hands while giving hugs and remembering their beloved Dina.

Dina Williamson, 28, died in a car accident Saturday night. She was a graduate student at the School of Design and Construction.

“The purpose of the ceremony is to celebrate Dina’s life, share funny stories and great memories, talk about how she impacted our lives,” said Carrie Vielle, an instructor of Interior Design. “Although it is an immeasurable tragedy, we want to keep tonight very positive and celebratory.”

The memorial was filled with individuals who got to know Dina during her seven months as a WSU student.

“She got to know a lot of students face-to-face because she was very outgoing. It shows how many people she impacted in such a short time,” said Jaime Rice, academic program manager in the School of Design and Construction.

Senior architecture student Ashley Kopetzky spoke of Dina’s incredible work ethic and happy spirit.

“She worked tremendously hard all the time, and even if people weren’t willing to help her, she was constantly working at everything,” Kopetzky said. “She was easily a mother to everyone in the studio. It was really great having that support.”

A combination of undergraduate and graduate level students who worked with Dina attended the vigil. The School of Design and Construction considers itself a “Cougar Family,” Vielle said.

“The Cougar family at the School of Design is very close,” Vielle said. “We are four different disciplines within the same school. You just get to know each other.”

Those who spoke about Dina at the vigil expressed their respect and admiration for her.

“I think it will help her memory in ways of knowing how many students she affected,” Kopetzky said. “Being able to see how much she has affected not only her family, but people outside of architecture and her education, as well as people she worked with.”

The planners of the vigil said they aimed to make the ceremony lighthearted to honor her spirit.

Rice said the ceremony reflected who Dina was — kind, loving and outgoing.

“We are openly speaking on how we are working to make up for what they’ve lost—even though in absolutely no way will that ever replace anything — but be able to help in any way we can, to try and preserve her memory beyond her education,” Kopetzky said.

A memorial fund has been established to support Dina’s family. Donations can be made at www.gofundme.com/r3d345w.