Making sweatshops sweat

TheĀ United Students Against Sweatshops (USAS) recently hosted a conversation via Google Hangouts with workers who sew Cougar apparel in the Dominican Republic town of Villa Altagracia.

The factory that they work in, Alta Gracia, is among the few collegiate apparel factories to provide their workers with a living wage and adequate health and safety conditions. The factory welcomes regular inspections by the Worker Rights Consortium, an organization established to guard labor rights.

During the talk, workers discussed the history of the fight for worker rights and how the inception of Alta Gracia has transformed the Villa Altagracia community. They also spoke about how college students can support the people who sew their university apparel.

Jobs at Alta Gracia are so desirable that they are often not easy to get.

ā€œI applied several times, itā€™s very difficult to get a job at Alta Gracia because everyone wants to work there,ā€ said Pablo Avelino, an Alta Gracia operator.

After going inside, Garcia didnā€™t have a hard time understanding why.

ā€œEverything is set up to make sure everyone is safe and healthy,ā€ said Lucrecia Sanchez, another Alta Gracia. ā€œIā€™ve been working in factories for 20 years and Alta Gracia is the first time Iā€™ve seen these kinds of conditions.ā€

These conditions include emergency exits, fire extinguishers, and ample space for workers to perform their daily duties. There are also water dispensers located throughout the factory.

Alta Gracia in all its comparative grandness is the result of a long and intense struggle for unionization. As they spoke to the WSU students, the workers greatly emphasized the role unions have played in improving the factory. However, it wasnā€™t easy to reach this point.

When workers attempted to form unions in the past, they were often harassed and even fired without severance.

ā€œI was seriously mistreated,ā€ said Sanchez, who participated in the formation of a union before working at Alta Gracia. ā€œI was once arrested and put in jail overnight for defending my rights.ā€

The union is not the only thing that has aided workers in their struggle for better treatment. They also stated that American students have been an essential factor. The USAS, which has chapters all across the U.S. and Canada, is a vital player in the fight against sweatshops.

The primary goal of the WSU chapter of USAS this year is to convince the Bookie to purchase 30 percent of its apparel from factories which do not operate under sweatshop conditions. The criteria include a living wage, safe working conditions, and the right to organize. Alta Gracia fits this example.

The actual negotiations with the Bookie have not begun, however, USAS has a written program of its requests. They are planning to gain more momentum for the project during the fall semester.

USAS is hoping for much more than to simply persuade the Bookie to alter its clothing sources.

ā€œItā€™s a social movement, itā€™s about everyoneā€™s voices being heard,ā€ said Sarah Morton, USAS member and WSU graduate student. ā€œItā€™s not about the money. We want to show that there is an incentive to improve conditions in factories.ā€

Although the USAS does not have affiliations with any other factories at present, they are hoping to reach out to others. Research is currently underway to determine which factories are candidates for their support.

ā€œSweatshops are a solvable issue,ā€ said Rachael Marie, USAS member and WSU undergraduate student. ā€œRight now, we are working to solve the issue by giving incentive for garment companies to follow in the footsteps of brands like Alta Gracia.ā€

A burgeoning group in its second year, USAS has already made strides toward sweatshop abolition. Last year, the Bookie dropped two brands which utilized sweatshop labor. USAS is hoping to gain more support so it can continue its mission in the future.

ā€œWorkers and students working together, fighting together, can accomplish many things,ā€ said Ramonita Castro, an Alta Gracia operator. ā€œAlta Gracia is an example of that.ā€