ASWSU honors Earth Day

In celebration of both Earth Day and Washington State University receiving the Tree Campus USA Award, ASWSU hosted a tree planting at the Ruby St. Park yesterday.

Since its inception in 2012, the park has been transformed from a barren gravel lot into an attractive area for students to spend their time and enjoy the outdoors.

Created under the Erdman/Skaug ASWSU administration, the park has seen several improvements over the past few years. In its first year, ASWSU provided funding for the grass and initial landscaping. The following year a Green Bike station was placed next to the park.

“Since the founding of the park, ASWSU has been aggressively searching for ways to improve the park for students,” said Dylan Heyne, ASWSU director of university affairs. “Each administration has attempted to put ASWSU’s stamp on the enhancement of the park.”

Plans for this year’s improvements to the park have been in motion for many months. ASWSU began conversations early this year with Bobbie Ryder, campus planner, and Kappy Brun, grounds supervisor. Together, they formulated a plan beginning with the addition of trees to the park.

ASWSU has had a good deal of help. Capital Planning aided in ordering, delivery, and oversight of the project, while the Environmental Sustainability Alliance (ESA) enabled the utilization of the Cougar Green Fund. The ESA also provided suggestions for future park improvements and maintenance.

“I feel this is a great example of departments working together,” said Heyne. “It exemplifies WSU’s efforts to create a greener environment for students.”

The trees planted by the ASWSU members included four cedar trees, four honey locust trees, and two maple trees, surrounding the park on the south and east sides.

After the planting, an official presentation of the Tree Campus USA Award took place. The award was presented by Bill Vertrees, assistant vice president for facilities services, to ASWSU and all others responsible for the park improvements.

“The designation shows the campus’ commitment to its urban forest through policy, maintenance, campus community participation, celebration and volunteerism,” said Brun. Brun oversaw the event, aiding students in planting the trees properly.

The criteria for the award include having a Campus Tree Advisory Committee and Tree Care program; dedicated annual expenditures for the Tree Care Program; Arbor Day observance; and a service learning project. WSU met all of the criteria.

The development of Ruby St. Park does not end here. “ASWSU has a variety of plans for the future of the park to make it more usable for students,” said Heyne. Among these plans are the installation of irrigation and electricity this summer, which will allow for student events and concerts.

In addition to this, Capital Planning hopes to increase the number of plants and trees in the park. This will require extra funding and will likely be on the agenda for next summer.

The burgeoning park is already being put to good use. Besides daily recreational use by students, events are being planned, to take place once the park has electricity.

“We’ve already had four requests for events in the fall,” said ASWSU President Jared Powell after the presentation of the Tree Campus USA Award. “I’m excited to see where it goes. I want to come back in a few years and see a beautiful park.”

ASWSU is also planning for the maintenance and waste management of the park, to ensure that it remains environmentally sustainable for students in the future.