A star-studded affair; KSA holds first talent show

The Korean Student Association hosted its first annual talent show, in which 15 different Washington State University students performed musical and dance acts.

The judges included Eunjeong Shin, Miyoung Lee and Jenny Kim.

Kat Tsatsomeros was the first contestant to perform. She sang a song called “Thunder” by EXO. Next up, Randy Cho preformed with a guitar piece of pop song mashups. He played popular hits from artists such as Adele and Coldplay.

Many of the contestants were self-taught and performed their own songs and dance routines.

Max Prado was one of those self-taught artists, rapping a song he wrote himself called Red Room.

Xinyi He and dance partner May Qiang did a hip-hop performance to songs such as “Good Boy” by GD and Taeyang and “M.A.A.D. City” by Kendrick Lamar.

Raffles were called out between performances to give the audience a chance to win prizes such as Starbucks and League of Legends gift cards.

G Dumbrique, a senior psychology and human development major, came in third place. Alexa Quenga, a junior studying communication, came in second. Cleiton Aguiar Andrade, junior studying civil engineering, was the first place winner.

Andrade is an exchange student from Brazil and said he heard about the event from finding the flier on the floor.

“It’s unbelievable, because I’m not a professional singer,” Andrade said.

Quenga said she didn’t even know they were performing as a competition; she was participating for the fun of it. She started singing at the age of three, and has been singing ever since.

“In Pullman there’s not a lot of opportunities to get recognized,” Quenga said.

Dumbrique heard about the event when he was walking along Glenn Terrell Mall. He signed up for the competition when his friend suggested he should dance.

The prize for the first place contestant was a Vizio television. The prize for second place was Dre Beats headphones and for third place was a Keurig.

Daseul Kim, president of the Korean Student Association (KSA), helped put on the event.

Kim decided to host the event when a KSA member suggested a talent show, initially as a joke.

“This is our first year, and we want this to keep going on as an annual event,” Kim said. “We wouldn’t have been able to do this without help from donations and from selling tickets.”