WakeUpWSU meets with Floyd

Last night, WakeUpWSU joined with President Elson S. Floyd to discuss the actions taken in response to the list of grievances sent to Floyd earlier in the week. Accompanying them were several students and staff members to lend their voice and thoughts to the situation.

WakeUpWSU is a student-driven movement striving to represent the underrepresented populations on campus. Through non-violent methods, the movement works to educate on racism, classism and religious discrimination, among others.

“This meeting was about what was the university going to do … about everything that’s happened and how to address our grievances,” said WakeUpWSU member Sagal Hussein, a senior graduating with a political science and sociology degree.

During the meeting, the students were given opportunities to voice concerns and suggestions, comment on personal experiences, and ask Floyd about what administration could do to respond to the grievances.

Those in attendance included WakeUpWSU members, ASWSU, ResLife representatives, and faculty such as dean of students Melynda Huskey and assistant vice president for financial services Brian Dixon.

The topics of the grievances included but were not limited to the racial comments made by a member of Phi Delta Theta, the limited number of colored faculty, and the influence of Yik Yak on WSU culture.

One of the concerns raised by a student was if the fraternity isn’t seen as an example of what shouldn’t be done, it will discourage prospective students from attending WSU. Floyd said this is an incident that could occur at any university. He acknowledged the concern and pointed out that people have control over their own destiny.

Yik Yak, as described by one of the students at the meeting, is a platform for individuals in a specific region to anonymously post and comment on posts. Since the arrival of the app on campus, students in underrepresented groups have reported feeling unsafe due to the harmful, toxic comments posted on the app.

Different solutions were discussed on what to do about this issue. One possibility, as suggested by the student who brought up the topic, is to find ways to block the usage radius of the app.

Naisua Shompole, a freshman hoping to study biomedical engineering, said she believes the incident with Yik Yak is not fully in the control of the university. Yik Yak can block WSU, but it can’t block the town of Pullman, she said.

Floyd said he came into the meeting committed to listening, having already received the list of grievances ahead of time. It’s always helpful to hear the perspective of students on these issues, he said.

The meeting was compelling, full of passion and emotion around the unfortunate circumstance, Floyd said. He found the incidents mentioned inappropriate with no way to justify the actions.

“Those grievances (are) under my authority,” Floyd said. “There are some things that are beyond my control, but those that are within my control we will proceed to implement.”

Hussein said she found the meeting productive and she appreciated that faculty took this normally scheduled monthly meeting time to talk.

“Anytime you get the president of the university to attend your meeting on a busy schedule I think says a lot,” Hussein said. “However, actions speak louder than words.”

Floyd said he will respond to the grievances in writing when the students return from spring break.

“When I look at the leaders here and the people interested, I am encouraged,” Dixon said. “The fact that people care inspires me that there is hope and can be change.”