Valuing that one credit: Best one-credit class

As far as one credit classes go, there were two that stood out to students: Com138 and weight training.

COM 138:

Professor Joe Hewa wants you to forget what you think you know about COM 138.

“It is ultimately designed as an overview course that introduces students to the field of communication,” Hewa said. “But I like to have fun myself, and I’m not interested being involved in something that isn’t going to be interesting for me.”

Hewa went on to say that he tries to spice up the class by implementing music and videos into the lecture hour and outside perspectives from guest speakers that have specific areas of expertise, and former students who share about their own experiences.

Even though it is an entry-level class in the communication major, Hewa stresses that it’s more than mere “filler” for credits, or limited to just students wishing to become certified in communication.

Another area that Hewa highlights as a beneficial aspect of taking COM 138 is planning for the future beyond college.

“This is stuff that everybody in every capacity of the university should be thinking about,” he added. “If you don’t, you’re going to graduate and realize the challenges of breaking into the job market and you’re stuck behind the counter of a fast food place wishing you thought about this earlier on.”

Weight training:

For many people, going to the gym is an enjoyable stress reliever. But for some people, especially beginners, the gym can be an intimidating place. Unfamiliarity with machines, workout plans and a potentially hostile environment can be deal-breakers for would-be workout warriors or people just wanting to get into better shape.

Enter the weight-training class, PE_ACTIV 112. Julianna Cazares is one of the instructors leading classes this semester. She helps students invest in the class by asking them to write their short-term and long-term goals at the beginning of the semester.

“The first couple of weeks are very open,” Cazares said. “They’re going to be able to do the type of workouts based on their goals. I’m not going to force them to do a workout that isn’t comfortable for them.”

“So if someone wants to get big, I can help them gain muscle and add strength,” she added. “But at the same time, I can help someone become lean and lose extra weight.”

Cazares also said the class is a great environment for students to work on specific goals and that the environment is less intimidating than the gym. She feels the opportunity to learn proper technique in a more hands-on environment is more beneficial for students than just half-heartedly working out at the gym and risking bodily harm due to shoddy workout form.

Reporting by Kevin Fisher