Working out the Pac-12

Lace up, show up, and bulk up in the Pac-12 Fitness Challenge next week.

WSU will participate in the conference-wide competition Feb. 23-27 to see which school is the most active. Students and faculty can log their workout minutes at www.pac12challenge.org.

WSU will compete alongside 12 universities in the Pac-12 for bragging rights of which school is the most active, said Joanne Green, director of programming at UREC.

“This is a chance to help educate students about the different opportunities that (UREC) offers, as well as inspire people to be more active this week,” Greene said.

Students can post various challenges they participate in on social media using #ownthepac. They can also post activities, prizes and workouts online as well.

WSU’s SRC will host multiple activities and challenges throughout the week. Daily fitness challenges will take place, including in a 120 second plank challenge Monday. Breaks will be allowed, but the goal is to see if participants can hold a plank the entire time without losing form.

Students can take a break from school Tuesday and grab a friend for a 12-minute bike ride.

The featured challenge Wednesday is the Box Jump, in which people start completing 12 box jumps and then descend down the scale until they have zero left. If box jumps seem to intimidating, step-ups are a modification.

For the last two days of the challenge, UREC will bump up the cardio with a jumping jacks event Thursday and a pushups challenge Friday. Thursday, UREC will log how many jumping jacks a person can do in 120 seconds. Then Friday get ready to build those arms with a 12 for 12 pushup event. The idea is to do 12 pushups in a minute for 12 minutes. Following the same idea as the plank challenge, students can take breaks, and whether students choose to do a regular pushup or modified pushup, keeping their form is the key.

In addition to these daily fitness challenges, UREC will give away prizes all week, including T-shirts when students log their minutes at the SRC the first two days of fitness week. Faculty and staff will have free access to the SRC for the week and need their Cougar Card to gain entry.

Laser tag, pink gloves boxing, swimming and more will also be available during fitness week. For more information and a complete list of activities, visit urec.wsu.edu. ​

Reporting by Amberlynne Umayam