Letter from the editor: Photo editor excited for new year with Evergreen

Cole Quinn reflects on photography journey, excited to work in person this fall

COURTESY OF COLE QUINN

Evergreen photo editor Cole Quinn is prepared for his new role.

COLE QUINN, Evergreen Sports Photographer

I was introduced to photography my freshman year of high school in a required career technical education class. That class helped me discover my true passion in life and led me down the road to obtain higher quality gear and more interesting photos.

By my junior year of high school, I knew I wanted a job that would always keep my eye close to my lens. I finally found the opportunity to put my photography skills to use when I was hired by The Daily Evergreen last year as a photographer.

With COVID-19 still raging throughout the state, I was not able to work in the newsroom at all my first year on staff. I spent most of my time running all around the Palouse and taking every visual request the team needed. I attended political rallies, created photo essays and learned a lot more about photojournalism than I ever could in a regular class.

After being promoted to the position of photo editor over the summer, I can say with certainty that I will be even busier than before. With students coming back to campus, we have more photographers and illustrators on our team than last year.

All of our artists are incredibly talented in their own right, each with their unique skill set and style. I can guarantee we will make the Evergreen look professional and top-notch.