Art show features rural student work

The public library in Colfax is showcasing local high school and middle school student artwork through the end of this week in its annual Rural Alliance High School Art Show.

“Students are always recognized for sports and other things, but not for art,” said Nichole Kopp, the teen librarian at the Colfax branch of the Whitman County Library. She said she is excited that the show gives art students an opportunity to show off their work.

Originally, the show was only open to high school students, but this year it was expanded to include middle school and home-schooled students, said Patty Mills, an art teacher at Oakesdale High School. The show has about 140 students submit work each year.

“Each student submits one piece of work,” Mills said.

The students are given artistic assignments throughout the semester, and they choose what they want to submit from that selection of work.

“One assignment (the students had) was to create a sculpture of how they see themselves, and it was very impressive,” Kopp said.

The Whitman County Library hosts an event called “Meet the Artist,” and every other February, the library has students come in to talk about the work they submitted into the show.

“The students explain how they conceptualized their piece, and what types of themes they use,” Mills said.

Since the show includes students from across Whitman County and students ranging from sixth grade to seniors in high school, the art is all unique, Mills said.

“What’s really cool is the diversity that’s presented,” she said. “There are wonderful sculptures, lamps, and screen-printed T-shirts. The sophistication of the middle school art is amazing.”

The show does not just bring in fine arts pieces, but it also ties together many different types of student creativity.

“A senior of mine played guitar at the opening night,” Mills said. The Oakesdale High School family and consumer science class also catered the show, she said.

The show also engages the art of the written word, including a reflection on their work by students, Mills said.

“The students write a reflection on their piece,” she said. “I think it is one thing to make something, and another to go back and think about it.”

The public has been excited to see the talent the students bring to the library, Kopp said.

“People come into the library and are very impressed by the talent the kids have,” Kopp said.

A large range of Whitman County schools, including the Colfax schools, the Palouse high and middle schools and others came together to show the students’ art.

“The idea (of the show) is to get the kids work out in the open to the public,” Mills said. “This is like our one big hurrah, and we’re pretty proud of it.”

The Rural Alliance High School Art Show is at the Colfax branch of the Whitman County Libraries, and is open through Jan. 23. The library is open Monday through Wednesday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday and Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.