Rethink where to get ink

Tattoo artist Chris Peltier, carefully inks WSU student Alivia DeGagne at Blood Diamond Ink, Monday, Oct. 7, 2013.

Abby Student Evergreen reporter

With blood-red walls, graphic images and needles galore, this October brings more than just haunted houses for Halloween.

Owner Chris Peltier of Pullman’s newest tattoo parlor, Blood Diamond Ink, has been tattooing for nearly ten years. He said by the end of the month his team will be complete with two more artists, each with their own unique style.

Peltier said he personally enjoys doing large pieces with varying shades of black and gray, especially faces. Of the other two artists, one specializes in traditional pieces and the other in new-school graffiti-type work.

In addition to the regular artists, season two winner of Syfy’s Faceoff, Rayce Bird, is expected to come in and do some tattooing within the next few months. Peltier knows Rayce personally and said he is an Idaho native.

Peltier said he wants students to know his shop is a friendly environment.

In the spirit of Halloween, the shop is offering $50 off any tattoo gory in nature. There are also posters around town featuring artwork and contact information. Customers who take a picture with one and bring it in will receive a $50 gift certificate off of any tattoo.

With the majority of tattoo parlors in the area located in Moscow, students who do not have transportation are presented with a more local option.

“Having a tattoo parlor within walking distance could be a positive move for the community,” Cole Gerena, junior criminal Justice and psychology major said. “If the place could fundraise for the community and/or the student population it could be beneficial for both parties, considering the large percentage of people in the college age group who have tattoos.”

Those who have been tattooed by Peltier identified unique advantages of his service.

“My favorite thing about Chris’ style is his ability to take your idea and transform it into what will work, as far as body placement and detail,” said Christian Siple, a WSU Dining Services employee. “He is an amazing artist. My favorite sessions have been the ones where I rattled off my ideas and let him freestyle. My whole left sleeve is freehand and I love it.”

Madeleine Junevitch, freshman undeclared major, recently had a large piece tattooed on her back and described Peltier as the “John Wayne of tattooing.”

“He is efficient and careful. All of the work I have seen from him and the quality he provides is excellent,” she said. “I will definitely go to him for any tattoo work that might come up.”

For more information, Blood Diamond Ink has a Facebook page that provides updates about the shop and promotional specials. The shop is located at 235 N. Whitman St., behind Audio Concepts.