Letter from the editor: A reflection of community issues

With almost 20,000 students from 90 different countries at our Pullman campus, the students at WSU have many stories to tell. As a student newspaper, we are charged with being the voice of the students, and we have a very diverse student body to represent.

The beauty in diversity is just that – everyone has a different story and a different outlook. As editor-in-chief of The Daily Evergreen, it is my goal to ensure that representation in our paper is fair and accurate. If you feel you aren’t being fairly represented, I encourage you to come talk to me. My office is in Murrow 122, and my door is always open.

The Daily Evergreen has come a long way in the last few years, and I’m proud to have been on the editorial staff for much of this turnaround. Former editors-in-chief have left a legacy of consistent improvement behind them, and I hope to leave a legacy of my own – involvement with the students, and factual, reliable coverage our community can rely on.

Over the last few semesters, we’ve increased our in-depth coverage of important issues with our alcohol series, our mental health series, and the detailed coverage of sexual assault on campus. This is a trend we will continue. We do this in order to increase awareness about issues commonly misunderstood or swept under the rug, an incredibly important function of a newspaper. We serve the community, and as such we have an obligation to try to have the most positive impact on the community that we can. To this end, we place heavy emphasis on overcoming taboo barriers and discussing these issues, starting the conversation.

If there is an issue that is important to you, I am a phone call or an email away. My contact information is on the second page of this newspaper, and I will never tell you your concerns don’t matter.

You are the students, and we are your voice. This is a newspaper that belongs to the whole student body, and I want anyone to be comfortable coming to my office. We work every single day to put out a paper that serves the community and reflects community interests. It is our job to be a fair and impartial source of relevant community news, and we take that job very seriously. As editor-in-chief, I want to listen to the community and produce a relevant, factual product every single day we publish.

So to that end, I encourage you to write us letters, to call me, to email me, to come talk to me or any of the dedicated editors who work here every night. We’re here to serve the community to the best of our ability.

Have a wonderful spring semester, everyone. Go Cougs.