Emergency test to occur Wednesday

Sirens will sound on campus; students should update alert preferences in MyWSU

VICTORIA GIOMI

Students walking on campus during the emergency alert should seek shelter in a building nearby.

VICTORIA GIOMI, Evergreen reporter

WSU Pullman’s Office of Emergency Management will be holding an emergency alert systems test at noon Wednesday.

Students, faculty and staff who are registered for WSU alerts will receive notifications, and sirens will ring on campus, said emergency management coordinator Sarah Blatner. 

The sirens should only last a few minutes, and there will be a message announcing the sirens before they begin ringing, Blatner said.

Students will not need to evacuate buildings, but students walking on campus should seek shelter until the test is over, she said.

Following the shooting on Saturday morning, Blatner recommends students take this drill seriously to prepare for emergencies on campus.

This test is not only for the benefit of the WSU community, but it also aims to test emergency systems to make sure they still work properly, said Christina Sanders, director of the Office of Emergency Management.

Sanders hopes this alert will encourage students to register or update their alert preferences and information in MyWSU.

Students should sign up for text alerts at the very least, Blatner said.