FERPA protects student records, to an extent

Chad Sokol Evergreen reporter

To protect from the mishandling of students’ private information, WSU takes several steps for confidentiality. However, there is always a potential of inappropriate use of records, said Associate Registrar Matthew Zimmerman.

The Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) defends students’ personal information. Established in 1974, FERPA applies to all educational institutions that receive federal funding.

“FERPA is a guideline as to what types of information can be given out at the university or anywhere,” said Katherine Lovrich, an academic advisor for the Center for Advising and Career Development (CACD).

Lovrich said all students should know their rights under FERPA. Students have the right to inspect, review and amend their education records. They may also, to an extent, control disclosure of those records and file complaints to the U.S. Department of Education.

“Students have access to all of their advising information,” she said. “They don’t have the right to take it with them, but they can see it.”

Associate Registrar Matthew Zimmerman explained that access to student information through Zzusis varies by an administrator’s role at the university.

“There’s different levels of security within Zzusis,” he said. “Everyone can’t view everything.”

Lovrich said certain counselors and administrators at WSU can view any of the student information in Zzusis.

“I have access to the transcripts of everyone at the university,” she said. “But I am honor-bound to look at only those for which I have an academic reason.”

Zimmerman said good conduct in the field of education extends beyond FERPA policy.

“Your professional conduct should determine the confidentiality with which you view those records,” he said.

Lovrich believes it is important that privacy and confidentiality be understood by everyone at the university. To aid this, she requires every tutor at the CACD to pass the FERPA Training and Certification Test, which certifies that one understands FERPA policies.

Lovrich supervises students who work for the CACD as peer tutors. Tutors are bound by FERPA not to release information regarding their tutees.

The NCAA enforces additional rules for college athletes who receive tutoring, and athletes may not receive anything the NCAA considers an added benefit or advantage over other students. That means an athlete may not borrow anything from a tutor – a pencil, a phone, a dollar for the vending machine.

However, the NCAA may publish some student athlete information not bound by FERPA, including their year in school, team position, height, and weight.

FERPA-bound information about WSU students, including transcripts, advising and counseling records, is stored in Zzusis.

“They’re really trying to make things more secure for students,” Lovrich said.

She explained that many universities organize information by students’ social security numbers. For security purposes, WSU primarily uses student identification numbers. Social security numbers are also stored in Zzusis. 

Matt Skinner, chief officer of Enterprise Systems, said he and his coworkers take protection of student information very seriously.

Skinner said because the Office of Financial Aid works in conjunction with the federal government, WSU must use social security numbers in the financial aid process.

“There’s very few people who can see social security numbers in the system,” he said.

He explained that the content and appearance of the Zzusis interface varies among its users. He referred to this feature as “role-based security.”

Lovrich said she believes cases of unwarranted or inappropriate use of student information are uncommon.

“I don’t think it happens very often,” she said. “I think everyone is too busy with their own work to be looking around and perusing things.”