Residence hall style

A living space can show off the character of the owner. When college students move into a residence hall, they are greeted by a bare bed, a desk, a closet, and four white walls.

Bland? Absolutely. Can it be fixed? Of course.

It’s true that many residence halls hold restrictions on what students can do in the way of decorating. The two rules that come up the most include no painting and no thumbtacks or nails in the walls. However, this in no way limits sprucing up those empty wall spaces.

Posters can act as excellent substitutions for paint and also show off a little personality. From movie posters to Japanese woodblock prints, the only limit is the amount of wall space. To hang the prints, use sticky putty or painter’s tape for the sake of preserving the white paint.

Occasionally, a poster sale takes place in a large white tent on the Glenn-Terrell Mall. Posters can also be bought in local stores.

Now, to the issue of the bed. When in college, the student provides the bedding. It is highly recommended that one brings a comfy layer for between the mattress and sheets because many hall mattresses are not comfortable.

As for the bedding, some might bring their old comforter, sheets and pillows from home or and some may buy new bedding. Bedding labeled ‘college’ often contains material with designs like stripes, flowers and college logos.

Then there are the more unique styles including animal prints, neon colors and a variety of decorative pillows. Die-hard Cougars can certainly find crimson and gray colored sheets and pillowcases to show their school pride. Just note that the sheets need to come in twin XL size or else they won’t fit over the mattress.

With all these decorations, it’s also important to keep a tidy living area. Beyond sweeping and dusting, keeping an organized desk, dresser and closet will keep students from going crazy as they try to balance school and life.

Hanging cubbies in the closet can help categorize accessories, school supplies and even bath towels. Most plastic shoeboxes fit in the holes for keeping items together. For objects that need to be hung up, search for a double-hanging bar to maximize small closet space. Try and organize what goes in the dresser and what goes in the closet by asking, “What absolutely needs to be hung up?” and “What can I fold and store in a drawer?”

The tops of dressers are commonly used for storing items like alarm clocks, jewelry boxes and maybe a piggy bank. Hang necklaces with chains on old locker shelves to prevent annoying tangles. Locker shelves can also add extra space when organizing books on a desk.

Let’s not forget that beds can also be raised for storage space underneath. Sometimes with the help of stacking blocks, a set of drawers can fit below for storing snacks, a first-aid kit or maybe dishware.

Just remember to utilize the space in a way that works best for you. After all, it’s the space that becomes your home your first year here.