Winter is coming: How to fight the cold

Students reveal how they best stay warm through cold months

MASON MARON

Treat yourself to a hot drink at Starbucks to keep yourself warm this winter.

JUSTIN WASHINGTON, Evergreen research editor

To many freshmen or students who have never attended WSU before, regardless of where they are from, winter in the Pullman area is likely to be a shock.

I can speak for myself on this one. This is my first semester at WSU and the winter season is already harsher than it is on the west side of the state. Temperatures are colder, rain is heavier and snow actually exists.

There is no doubt that other students on campus are experiencing this type of winter for the first time. Fortunately, we have a wide range of things we can do to keep ourselves warm. However, which method is the best way to brace the cold?

Anna Fagan, sophomore wildlife ecology major, said winter is “like hell” for her because the cold, thin air is hard on her asthma.

“I do, however, enjoy [winter] more than the summer because it’s easier to warm myself up than cool myself down,” Fagan said. “It’s honestly a bit different in Pullman because on the west side winter is mostly rain and it gets below 30 for maybe a week or two, but that seems [to be] the norm around here.”

She said she tries to bundle up during the season, and that a thick jacket, wooly socks and a hat can all help with staying warm. Hot chocolate helps to keep someone warm and to keep headaches from the cold away.

Charles Ludwig, freshman mechanical engineering major, said the cold does not affect him too much and that he is someone who wears shorts year-round.

“The main thing that [gets] annoying is trying to keep my hands warm while riding my bike around campus in high 20-degree weather,” Ludwig said.

Like Fagan, he said he also bundles up in order to fight off the cold. He usually wears a sweatshirt outside, but switches to a rain jacket during extreme temperatures in order to cut the wind.

David Thomsen, junior mechanical engineering major, said winter is his favorite season and is excited for campus to get some snow. 

“Being in Pullman, I still love the winter,” Thomsen said. “It feels very similar to living on the west side, which is where I grew up.”

He said he makes sure to wear layers when going to class because it helps to be able to take one or two off if the temperatures inside the buildings are too warm. Bringing hot chocolate or coffee in a thermos helps keep body temperatures up for long walks across campus.

“Hats are a good idea too, so your ears don’t freeze,” Thomsen said. “And once it gets really cold, some knit gloves can keep your hands warm so they are ready to take notes.”

Coletyn Everdell, freshman electrical engineering major, said winter does not affect him much because the city he grew up in got really cold during the season. He mostly wears a sweatshirt in the cold, but will wear a windbreaker if it gets really chilly.

“I recommend wearing two layers minimum, along with a pair of boots as some shoes have holes which can be bad if we have a lot of snow,” he said.

Sophomore biochemistry major Erin Moore said they have a supply of hot chocolate and a warm robe ready in order to brace the cold. 

“Luckily, I like warm fuzzy clothes and layers and am happy to be able to wear them and not overheat like I did on the other side of the state,” Moore said.

Warm clothes and multiple layers are the best way to go in order to make it through the winter season. 

However, not everyone has access to multiple layers of clothing. In which case, the second most brought up option of having hot drinks in a thermos will definitely go a long way in terms of staying warm. Some might even opt to visit Starbucks to order their hot chocolate or coffee.