Students with CCE pick up rakes for children in need

Children facing poverty in Whitman county received a helping hand from WSU students Saturday as they cleared ground for a garden outside of the Community Action Center (CAC) in Pullman.

At the CAC, which is a support system for more than 5,000 impoverished Whitman County residents, full-time volunteer Sue Guyett said students removed the gravel in order to prepare for a children’s garden outside the building.

The space will be interactive and sensory-stimulating for children who visit, Guyett said.

The garden will include a human sundial, giant bird’s nest, butterfly bush, pizza garden and booth of barn wood for children to pretend they’re hosting a farmer’s market, she said.

Guyett said the idea behind the garden is to teach kids that they can grow food at home, too.

“Every kid needs to know where their food comes from,” she said.

The college students gave back to the community as a part of the nation’s largest day of service, Make A Difference Day.

Samantha Hooker, a project leader for the WSU Center for Civic Engagement (CCE), said there are millions of volunteers worldwide that come together to improve the lives of others on this day.

As well as the CAC project, the CCE hosted groups at horse rehabilitation, Palouse River cleanup, trail maintenance, and landscaping, she said.

“It’s about giving back to the community that has given us so much,” said senior agricultural technology major Zach St. John.

Guyett said she loves working with the CCE and students at WSU.

“All the participants in the project today helped to create a welcoming atmosphere for children to learn how to garden and explore where food really comes from,” Hooker said. “Not only does it help out others, but volunteering can change your entire perspective of community and pass on the good vibes to make our world a better place.”