Students to march against white supremacy

Students said they want a stronger stance from WSU President Schulz on racism on campus

RACHEL SUN | The Daily Evergreen

Lashae Daniels, left, Mohamed Salem, center, and Katherine Mary Meyer speak with volunteers at Tuesday’s meeting for the march against white supremacy.

RACHEL SUN, Evergreen Roots editor

After a week of political upheaval, a group of WSU students and community members gathered at Umpqua Bank on Tuesday evening to plan a march against white supremacy Saturday.

Lashae Daniels, junior comparative ethnic studies major and organizer, said she decided to take action because she was tired of injustices toward people of color, immigrants and LGBTQ communities at WSU.

Daniels said she feels WSU President Kirk Schulz has not done enough to protect all students from racism and discrimination. She said the steps Schulz has taken has allowed individuals a platform to create an unwelcoming environment for minority groups.

Marchers are pushing for an investigation into Schulz for his perceived inaction on racism and sexism. Daniels said this is in violation of WSU executive policy 15, which prohibits discrimination and sexual misconduct, and Washington legislation for student conduct 26-204 on interference or disruption of the university community.

Daniels also said there is a need for an advisory board to oversee the actions of clubs at WSU and push for better representation of various minority groups.
“We haven’t been given a solution,” she said. “We’ve been given statements to pacify things, and I’m tired of being pacified.”

Daniels said the aim of the march is not focused on specific individuals but bringing about change at the institutional level.
“We are not going to tolerate Kirk Schulz’s silence,” she said. “Silence is compliance.”

Civil engineering major Lucas Radtke said he decided to volunteer for the march because he wants to speak up for groups targeted by the “Unite the Right” march in Charlottesville, Virginia.

“What happened in Charlottesville was quite frankly a tragedy,” Radtke said, “and I want to see that nothing like that happens again if I can help it.”

Daniels said she believes the changes advocated by the march will create a more inclusive environment for students and the community at large.

“If you attend this school, you have every right to feel included and to feel safe,” she said.

According to Wednesday’s news release, the march will be peaceful, and the group is working closely with the Pullman Police Department to ensure the safety of students and the community.

The march will begin at 5 p.m. Saturday at Beasley Coliseum and end with a rally at the Pine Street Plaza.