WSU Global Campus awarded for excellence

Online education is a growing enterprise, and at the helm of this up and coming industry is WSU, said Global Campus leaders.

The Global Campus, WSU’s campus for online degrees and certificates, received one of the highest national honors for online education. The Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) announced WSU Global Campus will receive the Ralph E. Gomory Award for Quality Online Education at the 19th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning this November.

Sloan-C is a non-profit professional online learning organization dedicated to providing quality online education to those who want it.

“Online education is really starting to take off,” said Global Campus Vice President David Cillay. “To be recognized nationally and among your peers is an honor.”

Cillay said the Ralph E. Gomory Award is the highest award given by Sloan-C. He said awards such as this bring more recognition and value to the online degree programs at WSU.

Brianna Lisenbee, president of ASWSU Global, said the award is proof to those who are wary about earning a degree online.

“It is hard to find a program that matches WSU,” she said. “I don’t think for-profit institutions even come close to Global Campus.”

Cillay said President Elson S. Floyd nominated Global Campus for the award and has been a strong supporter of online education since his appointment. 

He attributes the support of WSU administrators as part of the online school’s success.

“When you’ve got the support of leadership it’s easier to be successful,” Cillay said.  

As an institution WSU has managed to stay ahead in the online education arena by constantly evolving its program, Cillay said.

He said constant change in the online learning world motivates leaders within the Global Campus to find ways the program could improve.

Some major changes Global Campus made to progress its program include instituting Global Connections web seminars, providing incoming students with virtual mentors, implementing a common reading program, and coordinating social events, Cillay said.

Lisenbee said face-to-face social events are important for online students to connect with peers, faculty and administrators. The summer event hosted by ASWSU Global at Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle attracted over 500 online students, she said.

Providing online students with opportunities to have a well-rounded college experience is a goal of ASWSU Global and the other branch campuses, Lisenbee said.

Cillay said creating a campus-like environment in online space is an important part of the Global Campus.

While Global Campus works to simulate a physical campus, he said the courses are much different from those offered in a classroom setting.

Cillay said most students describe their online courses as much more rigorous and demanding than traditional classroom based courses. Every online student must actively participate; they cannot just sit in the back of the class, he said.

Lisenbee said while online courses can be more demanding for students, the time management skills gained are worth the effort.

Many online students have busy schedules outside of their course work and they must find time in between their professional careers, domestic responsibilities, and other obligations to do their work, she said.

As an online student and mother of two children, Lisenbee said time management also comes with the convenience of not having to go into a classroom every day. 

Cillay said many online students are working professionals and parents.

“Online courses provide a convenience in that it adjusts to your schedule,” he said.

Cillay hopes the benefits of an online education, coupled with national recognition, will attract more students eager to be a part of WSU.

“What we’re really trying to do is attract students who want to be Cougs,” he said.