The high costs for students in health care are too much

Editor:

College students are keenly aware of the high cost of education and health care. They are plagued with the question, “how am I going to pay for this?”

Students attending professional schools such as graduate programs or medical school are even more affected by the price tag of higher education. Most of those who end up going to professional school are from affluent families who can afford this cost and provide financial support for their student.

Doctors and medical professionals today have to spend an incredible amount of time in school, which costs an exorbitant amount of money. The cost of this training is directly responsible for the drastic rise of the cost of healthcare. The price of healthcare is a financial burden that unfortunately, many cannot afford. The cycle of the high cost of paying for medical education causes the cost of health care to rise. This needs to be checked.

In most cases, professionals such as nurses and physicians’ assistants could provide adequate care for general health needs. This would lower the cost of healthcare and provide a larger population with the care they require. People are paying too much for overqualified care, particularly when the cost is higher than many can afford. The real question is: what can we do about it?

Alyssa Norris

North Pole, Alaska resident