Community connections drive art pieces

“Invasion”, an art installation peice created by Karen Trebitz, displayed in downtown Pullman, Sunday, Oct.6.

Hannah Ray Lambert Evergreen Fine Arts reporter

Fine arts students were challenged by their professor to get out of the art department with their latest project.

Students in Fine Arts 103, a 3-D design course, created art installations in non-traditional art spaces throughout Pullman.

David Herbold, the instructor of the course, said students could create their sculpture out of any material as long as the final mass was at least 100-times greater than the mass of one singular part. He said students used anything from candy wrappers and garbage to reed canary grass.

Herbold said students had to approach the project in a non-traditional art space, pick a site to install it, and address “how a specific site would influence the way they work.” Students documented their work at their chosen indoor or outdoor site.

One of the goals of the project was to connect with the public.

Karen Trebitz, a graduate student in environmental studies, created her project, “Invasion,” out of reed canary grass. For the installation, her piece was set up downtown, starting in the creek basin and coming up over the railing into the plaza. Trebitz said reactions to her project varied.

“Some people didn’t notice at all,” she said. “And other people would walk by and stop and turn around and walk back along it and look over the edge of the railing.”

Herbold said some people who saw the pieces spoke to the artist, while others gave them dirty looks or seemed upset at having to walk around something.

“If you can make someone who’s got their headphones on get out of their bubble to observe their environment in a different way… that’s successful,” he said.

Trebitz emphasized that what makes Herbold a great teacher is his commitment to testing his students.

“It’s not just like, ‘here, make something,’” she said. “(Herbold) presents challenges with his assignments.”

The pieces will be on display in Gallery Three at the Museum of Art from Oct. 22 to 31.