Opportunities for service open up across the world

Instead of celebrating spring break on the beach, some students decide to spend their week giving back to the community.

The Center for Civic Engagement (CCE) is partnering with a few different organizations to bring groups of students to Guatemala, India, Death Valley, Calif., and different locations across Washington over spring break.

Community programs coordinator Ashlie Grilz said that these types of service trips are eye-opening for many students.

“I think it helps them connect local work to a broader spectrum,” she said.

Tiffanie Braun, the assistant director of the CCE, said there are two service projects that take trips to Guatemala. One partners with Habitat for Humanity and consists of building houses for families, she said. The other partners with Hearts in Motion and students will learn about health issues and assist in medical and dental clinics, she said.

Another trip that involves travel is through an organization called “Innovation in India.” Students travel to Bangalore to learn about the culture and responsible business practices, she said.

A more local service project is “Spring into Action, Break for Change.” In this project, students travel to different farms or gardens in Washington and Portland, Braun said. Participants will learn about community gardens and help with weeding and planting.

Kassi Rolin, student engagement graduate assistant, went on this trip two years ago.

“It was great way to learn different student perspectives of agriculture and sustainability,” she said.

Braun’s favorite trip is the one to Death Valley. The CCE has been volunteering and cleaning up Death Valley for the last seven years, and they have seen water start returning to the area as a result of getting rid of an invasive tree species.

“It’s increasingly more important for students, especially in college, to have those experiences that are transformational and potentially life changing,” Braun said.

The trips involve travel expenses, but Braun said many students offset these costs by fundraising. 

Applications and more information for these service trips are available on the CCE’s website.