Students given temporary passes after cartridge paper runs out

Passes will expire by September 1st

MADISON WILLIAMS, Evergreen reporter

In hopes of having a parking spot this semester, many students ordered their parking passes in advance of the start of school.

But some had difficulty retrieving their physical passes. Junior Taylor Frame said she went to the Transportation Services Building the Thursday before school started to pick up the parking pass she had ordered online, and was told she would not be able to.

The department had run out of paid passes to give to students, but offered Frame and others a temporary parking pass until they were able to print more.

She said she was happy to find out that she had the same parking access, despite not having the real pass. With the temporary pass, she could still park in the green, yellow, red and blue lots.

Chris Boyan, assistant director of operations for Transportation Services, said the department had run out of cartridge paper, and in the process of ordering new passes, they resorted to giving students authorized temporary passes as they waited on the originals.

Frame said she received an email notifying her that her permanent parking pass was available.

Boyan helped notify students that the real parking passes had come in earlier than expected, and that they were available for student pick up. They originally estimated the passes would be ready by Sept. 1.

He said the situation was brief, and Transportation Services solved the minor complication easily.

He said the department is fully capable of meeting students’ current needs for parking passes, and if any student wants to purchase a pass or find more information about them, he encourages them to visit the WSU Transportation Services website.