Even in retirement, Campbell gives back to students

Pharmacy professor Keith Campbell has retired, but his legacy will live on in the form of scholarships.

At Campbell’s retirement party on Oct. 5 attendees raised funds for two new scholarships in Campbell’s name for students studying in the pharmaceutical department.

“It was Keith’s idea. He also has a professorship, so instead of the donations going to that, Keith wanted it to go to the students,” said Lorraine Nelson, communication director for the College of Pharmacy.

Every year the department gives out $250,00 in scholarships. The money raised at Campbell’s retirement party will fund multiple scholarships.

A majority of the funding came from donations, but there was also a live auction at the event, Nelson said.

One of the most sought-after items featured in the auction was a football signed by Keith Lincoln, MVP of the 1963 Championship game and general contractor of the Alumni Center. The ball sold for $1,750.

Lincoln, Campbell and the buyer of the ball are all connected in an interesting way, Campbell said.

“When he retired I raised $44,500 in two weeks and used the money to buy him a hard-top convertible,” he said. “The guy who bought the football is now a dentist, but worked out of the car service for faculty, and Lincoln used to pick the kid up and drive him back and forth.”

The event was not only a financial success, but also a great evening for Campbell.

“It was just a really classy, fun event – a really humbling but touching experience,” Campbell said. “To raise $52,000 and more money still coming in, I was surprised – overwhelmed – and just, really, everything was great. I was pleased and impressed.”

Although Campbell celebrated his retirement, he said it does not seem possible to completely disengage himself from his work.

“I’ve had diabetes for 64 years. The prediction was that I would have died 24 years ago, so I am really fortunate to still be alive and feeling good,” he said. “I’m really going to miss working a lot. I’ve been fortunate to be recognized as one of the top people so it’s just been a wonderful career and experience.”

Campbell will continue his work in the field of diabetes as a member of the American Association of Diabetes Educators. He serves as an expert to various media outlets.

Nelson said Campbell also mentors students in the Pullman Pharmacy Club and occasionally acts as an ambassador for the college. He will keep his office in Wegner Hall and continue his research.

Campbell said, “My whole life and education I used my contact with my wonderful students to help them realize all the potential they have, to go above and beyond the call of duty. Losing the contact with the students is going to be the hardest thing.”