Women’s Transit provides a safe alternative

Women’s Transit embodies WSU’s culture of ‘Cougs helping Cougs’ by offering safe walking and riding services for students, said transit volunteer Jennifer Campbell.

The volunteers for the service work to reduce the risk of sexual assault at WSU and in Pullman by helping women and men travel home safely.

Campbell, a senior genetics and cell biology major, said she volunteers as one of the three student assistants for Women’s Transit. By funding the program and supplying three cars, she said WSU is showing its commitment to supporting a safer learning environment for all students.

“The WSU community always emphasizes the fact that we should work together regardless of race and gender,” Campbell said.

Women’s Transit Program Coordinator Joseph Pacific said they recently changed their call-in number to WSU-267-SAFE (978-267-7233) in order to increase efficiency. The new phone number also accepts texts if students are not in a safe situation to talk, he said.

Pacific said the previous number will still accept calls, though. When requesting a volunteer, students should include their name, current location and destination.

Also new, the walking-only area part of the program was implemented last year to decrease wait times and increase ridership, he said.

The area has six pick-up points along Stadium Way and across the Glenn Terrell Mall. Students traveling alone within the walking-only area who call walk with two volunteers to their destination, Pacific said.

Women’s Transit only picks up people walking alone because the volunteer service’s main purpose is to prevent sexual violence, which commonly occurs when a person is alone, he said.

The volunteers will also take a rider who is intoxicated and in need of help to the hospital, as well as provide resources for victims of sexual assault.

According to a 2012 study by the U.S. Department of Justice, between 20 to 25 percent of women will experience a completed or attempted rape during their college career.

Considering the number, Campbell described a situation where a woman was referred to mental health services following a sexual assault.

“We probably have prevented someone from committing suicide,” she said. “I’m positive we prevent violence.”

The volunteers, made up entirely of students, are crucial to the team’s prevention efforts and goal to make Pullman a safer place, Pacific said.

Women’s Transit is currently looking for more volunteers to help walk and drive students to their destinations.

Pacific said people who like to solve problems or would like to promote safety in the community should apply.

“The most successful volunteers like to work with people,” he said.

Volunteering with Women’s Transit provides many benefits including extra credit for classes, an addition to a scholarship application or resume, and an opportunity to fulfill community service requirements, Campbell said.

Student assistant Justin Kittelson, a junior civil engineer major, said he decided to get involved when his girlfriend started using the service. Initially it helped him meet people, and he decided to become a student assistant to help other volunteers.

“It’s a good feeling to be able to help the community,” Kittelson said.

Campbell said Women’s Transit works to benefit the entire community, especially women. It serves as a way for them safely control their own transportation and lives, she said.

“For me personally, it makes me feel more empowered as a woman,” she said.