With stadium construction students face new gameday routes

WSU football fans must walk around construction to get into Martin Stadium this season as phase two of the Cougar Football Project continues.

Cougar Football Project Manager Larry Harris said the student entrance will not open this season, but should be ready by summer 2014.

In the meantime students will be directed to the northeast entrance near the Cougar Pride Statue, he said. Foot traffic will be limited on the west side of the stadium. Volunteers will direct pedestrians to the appropriate stadium entrances.

Vehicular traffic will not be affected by construction, Harris said. Fans should follow the same routes around the stadium as past game days.

WSU Transportation Services suggested it would be best for students and locals to walk or take the bus to the game if possible.

Wildlife ecology junior Melissa Webb believes the university should have either finished the project by now or opened another entrance to ease an already difficult process.

“It was already hard to get in, now it’s going to be worse,” Webb said.

Junior broadcast major Tyler Langerveld said while the stadium entrance will be more congested than usual, the future benefits to the football program outweigh any temporary annoyances.

“We are a sports centered culture, and should utilize the funds for more important endeavors,” sophomore music student Regan Siglin said.

However, in the 2013-14 Services and Activities Fees allocations, the committee did not award the Athletics Department any additional funds, according to the S&A Fees report.

Students looking for exact routes to and from the stadium and more information about the Cougar Football Project should visit thcougarfootballproject.org.