College Hill meeting agenda sets community goals

Bobby Ryder, a board memeber for the College Hill Association, proposes a fix to the massive amounts of liter during a meeting at the Hand Neill Public Library, Wednesday Sept. 18, 2013.

Michelle Fredrickson, Evergreen reporter

The College Hill Association elected three WSU students to its Board of Directors last night at its annual public meeting.

The Board elected junior Jack Bonnington, a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, junior Marissa Hice, director of campus outreach for ASWSU, and Robert Franklin, who is working toward his master’s in public history.

“I’m excited to be here,” Bonnington said. “I really care about our community.”

At the meeting the CHA set goals for the upcoming year, which include aesthetic improvement, enhancement of green spaces and tree canopies, neighborhood representation in civic affairs and historic preservation.

The CHA also addressed concerns submitted by its constituents.

“One of the things we do at this annual public meeting is try to figure out what our emphases for the year ahead are going to be,” CHA Director Allison Munch-Rotolo said. “What things matter to you throughout the neighborhood, what should the association be paying attention to.”

CHA members said littering, especially of beverage containers, was a major issue in all areas of the community.

Pullman Police Department College Hill beat officer Shane Emerson received much applause when he said he ticketed people for the offense.

“I understand you’re going to party, and what’s going to happen is going to happen, but you need to spend that extra hour and clean that stuff up,” Emerson said.

Bonnington suggested forming a community service opportunity to encourage those in the Greek community to clean up.

Bobby Ryder, a member of the Board of Directors, said community service is good, but the overall cleanup process needs to be institutionalized and less dependent upon individuals.

Hice said ASWSU has worked to take over Adopt-a-Block. She said the program would replace Greek Sweep and form a crew that would clean College Hill every Sunday.

“If we got enough participation, this problem wouldn’t be as big as it is now,” Hice said. “Or it would be more contained.”

She also presented one of her projects, Ruby Street Park, to the board.

“When I came here my freshman year, it was just a bunch of gravel, not a lot of grass left,” Hice said. “It was just an awkward, empty lot.”

Since then, proposals for creating a public green space have been underway. Official work on the park began last May, and the park is expected to be usable by spring.

Workers have leveled the slope of the park, planted new grass and repaired damaged concrete. Hice said the park will provide electricity to accommodate concerts and other events. UREC will add the first off-campus rack of green bikes, she said.

• College Hill meeting agenda sets community goals

‘2 Weeks of Pullman’ aids Cougar Health Fund

‘Party in the Park’ celebrates culture, cuisine

• Crime

Man stabbed in Pullman Thursday night

Candidate hosts town hall, discusses climate change

University hopes to see growth in global students

Pipe dreams: Impacts of local pot businesses in Pullman

Data shows high levels of freshman enrollment

• Local

Application aims to keep online marketplaces safe, accountable

City may implement indigenous celebration

Jason Gesser resigns amid new sexual misconduct allegations