Involving yourself in college makes all the difference

Surrounded by a sea of unfamiliar faces, you were once, or are, a freshman—the new kid on the block. You probably felt shy; you might have found it a little difficult to make the connection between yourself and the person beside you. You were a small fish in the big pond.

But, in college there are plenty of chances to find your niche and a sense of belonging.

Large college campuses provide students with the opportunities to find their identity within the greater scheme. While many students may choose to immerse themselves within the community, others may find the process difficult or daunting.

Even still, with such a large population students may find themselves lost or isolated. Nearly 30 percent of American college students reflect this challenge by exhibiting some form of depression, according to a 2011 study conducted by the American Health Association.

Additionally, a lack of social support in college has increased students’ suicidal tendencies, according to a study conducted by Johns Hopkins Children’s Center.

In the United States, suicide is the second leading cause of death among young people between the ages 18-24, according to a survey by Suicide Prevention Resource Center.

As research suggests, the feeling of being alone in a new setting is far from uncommon.

College provides students the chance for self-reinvention, but at the same time it acts as a constant reminder that your childhood is in the past. With family and close friends far away, students must start over in an unfamiliar place.

Community building opportunities do exist on campus, though. Washington State University offers a slew of social prospects ranging from clubs and organizations to Greek life, which fit both the introvert’s and the extrovert’s tastes. Students must be willing to branch out into the community that is ready to receive them.

Personal involvement with campus life helps reinforce a sense of belonging. We as a university should strive to be more inclusive and involve as much of the student body in the social scene as possible. By actively publicizing and encouraging student participation, individuals will find it easier to get involved. WSU will become more like a family rather than a conglomerate of people brought together by coincidence, trudging their way to a degree.

For those who continue to struggle to find a niche on campus and for students who may still be feeling homesick, the university also has counseling services available to help.

Students should definitely reach out to WSU’s Counseling and Testing Services for any support they might need.

As an emerging generation of young adults, we must strive to build each other up as we progress into adulthood. By integrating ourselves into the social tapestry on campus, we create and strengthen important connections.

-Michelle Chan is a sophomore animal science major from Phoenix, Ariz. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.