D.J. Demers kicks off comedy tour at WSU

"Here to Hear" comedy tour to help raise awareness of hearing loss at universities across the country

Comedian

Comedian "DJ Demers" reflects on why comedy has made him humble and how he wants to connect with students through his comedy bits.

JONI COBARRUBIAS | The Daily Evergreen

JONI COBARRUBIAS | The Daily Evergreen

JENNIFER LADWIG, Evergreen mint editor

WSU will welcome comedian D.J. Demers today as he opens his “Here to Hear” comedy tour in the CUB Auditorium.

Demers is touring 20 different universities in October as a part of Disabilities Employment Awareness Month, starting at WSU and ending at Yale University.

Demers partnered with Phonak, a hearing aid development company, to create this tour to help raise awareness of hearing loss among college students, he said.

“The whole point of the tour is to destigmatize hearing loss,” Demers said.

Demers started wearing hearing aids at the age of 4. He said he had tubes put in his ears to try to correct the issue, but they would fall out, and each time they were replaced, they worked less and less.

So Demers was given hearing aids. He said that just the other day he was talking to his mom, and she told him that she didn’t know how bad his hearing was until he got the hearing aids and came out of the bathroom, saying “the water makes a noise when it flushes.”

Demers, 31, has been doing stand-up comedy for nine years.

“I just dove into it,” he said. “I found an open mic, bombed for a few years, then learned how to be funny. In three words: I love comedy.”

He said he can’t imagine doing anything else with his life, and suggests to anyone interested in stand-up comedy to just go for it.

“There’s the potential that every time you get up there, you could bomb,” he said. “But if you’ve been thinking about it, just do it.”

Demers was on season 11 of “America’s Got Talent,” where he made it to the judges’ cuts.

“It was cool to be in front of the judges,” he said, “like Heidi Klum, Simon Cowell, Mel B, my favorite Spice Girl.”

Being on AGT helped him open up to being an advocate for hearing loss, he said. After the show aired, many people reached out to him about their experience with hearing loss.

Demers said he loves the technology he gets to work with as a partner with Phonak, and the tours he gets to do now. After traveling for three days to get to WSU, he said he was feeling withdrawals from the rush of a performance on stage.

“I get to live a really fun life,” he said.

Although there is no scheduled meet-and-greet time while Demers is at WSU, he said he would like to extend an invitation to anyone who is interested in talking with him to approach him after the show.

D.J. Demers’ opening show of the “Here to Hear” comedy tour is at 6 p.m. today in the CUB Auditorium. The show is free to attend and open to the public.

JENNIFER LADWIG, Former Evergreen mint editor

Jennifer Ladwig is a senior communication major from Washougal. During her time at the Evergreen, she has served as copy editor, life editor, editor-in-chief...

• Mint

Letter from the Mint editor: Please don’t break grandma’s heart before turkey is served

• D.J. Demers kicks off comedy tour at WSU

Mint

Quirks, rumors about buildings on campus

Mint

Satire: Abandoned students give insight on being alone for holiday

Mint

Booze News: Take a shot when you see Santa, poorly dressed anchors

Mint

Insta-slam face to face social interactions in garbage

Mint

Are romance novels trash or not?

Mint

People dedicate month to create novels, improve writing

Mint

SATIRE: Inevitable snowfall is approaching, smokers must take precautions

Mint

Stepping out of comfort zone leads to release

Mint

Booze News: Cocktails to warm cockles of people’s hearts