From Penny Wars to bonfires, Friday exudes Cougar pride

Lance Lijewski

Although Homecoming week will draw to a close this weekend, the Student Entertainment Board anticipates ending with a bang.

Outside of the CUB building, the Penny Wars and Street Fair will take place from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Greek and Residence Hall teams will race all over campus asking students and faculty for their spare change. While the competition does earn each team points, all of the funds raised are donated to a charity of their choice.

The street fair will consist mostly of games and activities built and organized by the teams participating this week, much like a carnival.

“Everything is pre-approved,” SEB Special Events Coordinator Logan Webbenhurst said. “Nothing is going to be too wild or crazy.”

At 6 p.m. tonight, the bonfire will take place at the fire pit across from Streit-Perham.

It’s the biggest event of the week, Webbenhurst said. The bonfire will continue to burn until everybody leaves and all of the excitement dies down.

“It’s huge,” he said. “The bonfire is supposed to get students ready for the game on Saturday. When it ends, it ends. There is no time limit.”

To end the week of activities, SEB will close tomorrow with a Cougar Prowl. Two and a half hours before kickoff, teams will gather around the Cougar Pride statue outside of Martin Stadium and draw people in for the game.

“The Prowl is meant to get everyone excited and spirited,” Webbenhurst said. “We want the teams to bring as many people as possible wearing all of their Cougar gear.”

The Cougar Prowl will take place at 5:15 p.m. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m.