Blackbear comes to WSU

BLAINE ROSS, Evergreen columnist

Modern American counter-culture icon Blackbear is coming to Pullman for a concert sponsored by the Student Entertainment Board.

The concert will also take place in the Senior Ballroom from 7 – 10 p.m. Thursday in the CUB.

Blackbear started his career as a singer-songwriter with heavy rock ā€™nā€™ roll influences. He wrote music for Justin Bieber and then went on tour as a featured artist with Hoodie Allen last year. Now, Blackbear has risen to stardom in every aspect, as a social media star, a successful musician and achieving his status as a counterculture icon. Some of his most popular songs are ā€œDo Re Miā€ off of his album ā€œDigital Druglord,ā€ and ā€œIdfcā€ off of ā€œDeadroses.ā€

Freshman rapper Smino cancelled his performance, but Blackbear will still make an appearance, according to a tweet by SEB. Smino is a member of the Chicago hip-hop collective ā€œZero Fatigueā€ and recently dropped his own album, ā€œblkswnā€ in March. Ā The album has done well in the hip-hop community.

Both acts have been gaining notoriety exponentially and have WSU students excited for Thursdayā€™s concert. Tickets are sold out, but thereā€™s still two ways to get tickets to the show: Tickets for the general public and students alike sold out quickly, but there is still a chance to win tickets by attending the ā€œCoug Spotlightā€ in the CUB from 4 – 6 p.m. Thursday.

Reporting by Blaine Ross

Editor’s note: This has been edited to reflect that Smino will not be opening for Blackbear, and Blackbear will still be performing Thursday.