Blackbear comes to WSU

BLAINE ROSS, Evergreen columnist

Modern American counter-culture icon Blackbear is coming to Pullman for a concert sponsored by the Student Entertainment Board.

The concert will also take place in the Senior Ballroom from 7 – 10 p.m. Thursday in the CUB.

Blackbear started his career as a singer-songwriter with heavy rock ’n’ roll influences. He wrote music for Justin Bieber and then went on tour as a featured artist with Hoodie Allen last year. Now, Blackbear has risen to stardom in every aspect, as a social media star, a successful musician and achieving his status as a counterculture icon. Some of his most popular songs are “Do Re Mi” off of his album “Digital Druglord,” and “Idfc” off of “Deadroses.”

Freshman rapper Smino cancelled his performance, but Blackbear will still make an appearance, according to a tweet by SEB. Smino is a member of the Chicago hip-hop collective “Zero Fatigue” and recently dropped his own album, “blkswn” in March.  The album has done well in the hip-hop community.

Both acts have been gaining notoriety exponentially and have WSU students excited for Thursday’s concert. Tickets are sold out, but there’s still two ways to get tickets to the show: Tickets for the general public and students alike sold out quickly, but there is still a chance to win tickets by attending the “Coug Spotlight” in the CUB from 4 – 6 p.m. Thursday.

Reporting by Blaine Ross

Editor’s note: This has been edited to reflect that Smino will not be opening for Blackbear, and Blackbear will still be performing Thursday.

Blackbear comes to WSU