Transition from college to job is determined now

By Chelsea Keyes

Having a plan is critical during your college years. It allows you to set out, organize and execute not only your goals, but also your priorities. Note that most students with higher levels of performance have created a plan and have carried it out superbly.

Success after college doesn’t come easy. Failing to establish a viable post-graduation plan will hinder your prospects in the workforce, and several factors contribute to a strong transition from college life to a career.

Naturally, we as students feel as though our grades are the most important aspect of our college work. But getting yourself ready for a job interview by setting up a solid foundation of real-world experience and extracurricular activities is even more vital to your future.

A common trap that many students fall into is setting their expectations too high. This does nothing but breed discouragement when a student fails to obtain their lofty and unrealistic goals, so student should create an honest evaluation of themselves. Set attainable milestones and work toward them one step at a time. More importantly, stay accountable for your actions along the way, making note of and correcting any missteps.

Here are some suggestions for your career development:

Internships

Internship opportunities provide an advantage that college students have in comparison to the rest of job-seekers. There’s nothing better than having experience in the career field that you desire. Internships allow you to get a head start and attain more background knowledge of the type of environment and workload you will face. As you intern be sure to network; you will meet new people affording you the privilege of self-promotion and building relationships. Not only do employers typically hire those with intern experience, many offer college credit.

Resume’s

Unfortunately, most students neglect the proper preparation that a resume deserves. This is one of three pieces of paper, along with your degree and cover letter, which convey all of your accomplishments to a potential employer. Failure to prepare it accurately is a huge mistake that many college graduates make.

Resume’s show proof that you are qualified for the job. They provide your contact information, skills, abilities, education, job objectives, and even references. Omitting any of this information will make it difficult for employers to ascertain if you will be beneficial for their team and it will also guarantee you do not get the job.

Online Profile

Maintain a good online reputation. About 19 percent of employers say they have found information in potential employees’ social media that prevented them from offering the applicant the job, according to a new CareerBuilder study. As fun as it is to upload videos of yourself playing King’s Cup onto Instagram or to post provocative pictures and language on Facebook and Twitter, these are actions that will lose you jobs. Any information or behavior that could be viewed as inappropriate should be deleted.

Blogs

On the other hand, if you’re interested in journalism for example: create a blog to show off your writing, creativity and Photoshop skills. This is an appropriate use of social media, which will attract potential employers.

Follow up

Applying for a job is important, but following up after turning in the application is just as imperative. This will show the employer that you are serious about the job; after all, yours is not the only application getting looked over. Not only does this simple action keep your application relevant in the employer’s mind, but it also assuages any concerns that they might have.

Be the college grad that performs these steps. In an economy with many workers and few jobs, it’s the dedication to the details that will put you above the rest.