Film Club studies the process of creating

Using their own gear, the club makes videos for other groups

MICHAEL LINDER | The Daily Evergreen

Junior Klint Demetrio talks about the work the Film Club does Monday afternoon.

KAYLA SIMONSON, Evergreen reporter

WSU Film Club is in the early stages of getting organized after previous club leaders graduated.

Club member Klint Demetrio, a junior studying linguistics, said during the first meeting he attended, many student-built short films were presented.

“One was really creepy, but a nice creepy,” Demetrio said.

After feedback was asked for from the students about the short films, many focused on technical views such as how it was delivered rather than the feeling it evoked.

“I was like ‘whoa!’ And then I realized how detailed of a club this was,” Demetrio said. “Where they were focusing on how things were made, how things were photographed and planned out. It’s pretty interesting.”

The Film Club is currently working on appointing officers and training them.

“Even though the Film Club is in a weird situation where they’re still forming their officers, previous members have set themselves up to where they’re okay, resource-wise,” Demetrio said. “They have everything set up, this is more of just going through the motions of filling positions.”

Rebecca Goodrich, Film Club co-adviser, said she is encouraging the club to focus on determining times that work well for meetings, settling officer positions and brainstorming for spring semester when they will be able to commit to projects with an organized team.

The Film Club owns film cameras, tripods, rails, an editing station, a light kit and a few other supplies, Goodrich said. They are working on getting a green room for students to work in.

Because the club owns equipment, they have been able to help various other clubs and organizations around campus, she said.

The group is mostly focused on building their team, so there aren’t any events currently scheduled.

The club has facilitated many activities in the past, like bringing in guest speakers, such as a film production lawyer from Seattle, creating promotional and marketing videos for different groups around campus, including a video for the Math Learning Center, and hosting a script writing contest, Goodrich said.

The script writing contest was open to anyone at WSU, and the one-act script that the club chose as the best was made into a short film.

“It really is about the process, I mean the product is always pretty good too, but it’s the practice of doing this work,” Goodrich said. “It’s outside the scope of a regular class assignment and the students are more motivated to give it their all when it’s a self-motivated project and with their friends.”

But, it also is a diverse group of students with many different majors including biology, engineering and linguistics. Everyone brings their own skills, and gets to have their own role that reflects their personal goals and interests while still contributing to the team, Goodrich said.

“The club is a great opportunity for students to step up into leadership roles, build experiences and practice.” Goodrich said. “I suspect it’s going to be a very exciting group this year.”
Those interested in joining the club can contact Demetrio at [email protected].