4-H supports raising animals while teaching life skills

A program that not only allows young students to present and care for their animals, 4-H also helps them gain presentation and leadership skills for their future.

From grades 6-12, students in 4-H work year round to prepare for the county fair where they present their animals to a panel of judges and display the skills they have mastered in the process.

Junior animal science major Olivia Barr was a member of 4-H from 6-12th grade and showed horses in Skagit County.

“4-H is really important because it helps shape our youth,” Barr said. “It benefitted me by giving me more self-confidence, organization, public speaking, and responsibility skills.”

Before members are able to compete they are required to record everything they do with the animal, practice presentations, attend a judging clinic, attend monthly meetings, and participate in community service to promote the club.

Debbie Hoadley, Albion 4-H club leader, said the 4-H program taught her children skills they will use for the rest of their lives and emphasized the importance of responsibility and public speaking.

Fourteen years ago, Mark Fredrickson, started as the “driving dad” for his daughter in the 4-H program and now operates the East Side Rabbits and Cavies Club in Issaquah.

The East Side Rabbits and Cavies Club is a separate program within 4-H, which also supports the aspect of public presentation. Club members are required to present and be critiqued.

Frederickson described how he saw many students start out shy and over the years get increasingly better at public speaking.

“I’ve seen the value that 4-H brings to my children and all of the other kids I’ve seen grow up” Fredrickson said.

Another important membership requirement includes at least two community service events, which are typically petting tables that promote 4-H.

“We get so used to the animals, but some people have never even touched a rabbit,” Fredrickson said.

Club members also practice events with other clubs in different locations where they are judged by their peers based on their knowledge of the animal and presentation.

When the 4-H students are not competing, they study together and are happy for each other when they win, Fredrickson said.

Barr said 4-H really made an impact on her because it helped her make the decision to pursue animal science.

WSU is the only university in the state that sponsors 4-H. It hosts programs for club members to meet and become more involved with the program, Barr said.

Her involvement with 4-H, Barr said, will help her get into veterinary school in the future. She said the program gave her a great amount of experience that helped her receive scholarships from the university.