ASWSU vice president arrested for DUI

Patrick Groves Evergreen Reporter

Whitman County Sheriffs arrested ASWSU Vice President and City Councilman Derrick Skaug for driving under the influence at 1:18 a.m. Sunday.

Sheriff Brett Myers said Skaug’s blood alcohol level was above the legal limit of 0.08. The investigation is complete and the police report and evidence will go to the Whitman County Prosecutor’s Office for charging consideration, Myers said.

In a statement emailed to The Daily Evergreen, Skaug said his blood alcohol level was 0.09 when he was arrested. The police pulled him over for making a wide turn, he said.

“This is a serious situation — one in which I have not been before,” he said, “and I want to express my remorse and apologies to my family, my school and my community.”

Sgt. Dan Dornes of the Pullman Police Department said an officer assisted in the towing and impounding of Skaug’s vehicle while the deputy took him to the Pullman Police Station for the blood alcohol level test.

Mayor Glenn Johnson said Skaug’s city councilman status does not change because of this incident.

“All are presumed innocent until proven otherwise in court,” Johnson said.

Melynda Huskey, the WSU dean of students, said when a student potentially breaches the Student Conduct Code, the Office of Student Standards and Accountability reviews the police report and determines if a hearing is needed.

In the review, the office will decide if the student should meet with one conduct officer or with the full conduct board, Huskey said. The officer or the board will conclude if the student was responsible and if so, they will implement sanctions.

“It’s typical in a circumstance like that that the sanction would be that the student would no longer be eligible to serve as an officer in any student organization,” Huskey said.

However, students are innocent until proven responsible, she added.

As soon as the Office of Student Standards and Accountability receives the police report they move as quickly as possible to determine responsibility, she said. The office’s speed is determined by the alleged violation’s possible affect.

DUIs are more serious because they involve the possibility of harming another person or people very seriously,” Huskey said.

Myers said it would be up to the prosecutor’s office to forward the police report to WSU officials.

He said Skaug is scheduled to appear in court at 3 p.m. Monday in Colfax.

ASWSU President Kyle Erdman said he has no comment.