The study of community

Senior sociology major Kathleen Bautista, senior advertising and psychology major Jocey Lo, and sophomore kinesiology major Thalia Quintero at a tabling event for Sociology Club at WSU.

Rubber flies through the air, back and forth like a wild tennis match, leaving burning red marks every time the ball makes contact. Anything for charity, right?

This was the dodge ball tournament put on by the WSU Sociology Club, whose members work as a community service organization on campus. The term “sociology” refers to the study of human behaviors, and the club has been pushing toward the community aspect.

“(We) worked on bringing everyone together,” said sophomore and kinesiology major Thalia Quintero, currently the club historian who will take up the role of secretary next semester.

The club is small, with about 10 to 15 current members. They all have fun with it, having become really close friends like a family, said current vice president Jocey Lo, senior advertising and psychology major and incoming president.

Quintero said the club participates in different fundraisers and projects throughout the year. Along with the semi-annual dodge ball tournament, the club did bake sales to raise money for the club and a career panel in which they brought in a group of professionals to talk about their different jobs.

This panel was held Nov. 12 and featured a variety of professionals such as a sociology professor, a criminal justice professor, a YMCA director, and a member of the Peace Corps.

“We want to try and do new things (like) bring in high school students to Pullman to see the campus,” said senior sociology major Kathleen Bautista, who will be the vice president next semester.

Quintero heard about the club from her professor in her Sociology 101 class freshman year, which was a similar story for Lo and Bautista. Lo said club members earned extra credit in their Sociology 101 class for participating in the dodge ball tournament. Similar opportunities are offered to members and officers.

At the time, Quintero said she was still exploring different fields of study, so she decided to check the club out. Even as a kinesiology major today, she said she still feels welcome.

All majors are welcome in Sociology Club, similarly to many of the clubs on campus. There aren’t many clubs specific to one subject. Lo, a sociology minor, said it’s good to get a perspective from everyone to do good things for the community.

“I think (it) really helps out the club to be having different perspectives,” Bautista said.

One of the interesting parts of the club is the diversity in grades and majors, Quintero said. It’s all part of something else that the members use to bring everyone together. The club is currently working on making a fresh start to focus more on the community service aspect starting next semester.

“It’s like a new experience for me being involved in a club and having an officer position,” Bautista said. “I feel like it is our little family.”

Some of this reworking involves ways for the club members to bond and try to get the club out there for people to know about it. Lo said they don’t have a lot of money as a club now, so they hold bake sales as a way to raise money and a way for the members to bond.

“It’s the little moments that I enjoy,” Quintero said.

Sociology Club meets at 4 p.m. Wednesdays in the Wilson-Short Hall, room 5.