A conference with parity means tough games for the Cougs

Cougar guard Ike Iroegbu attempts a contested layup against the Oregon Ducks in Beasley Coliseum, Jan. 26, 2014.

Wildcats, Huskies and Bears, oh my. It’s men’s basketball in the Pac-12 conference, and competition is fierce in the north. Two teams remain undefeated in the conference, the No. 3 Arizona Wildcats (10-0) and No. 17 Washington Huskies (7-0), with just a few games left to play in the non-conference schedule. Here is the breakdown of the Cougars’ Pac-12 competition this season:

Arizona: First things first, they are the No. 3 team in the nation, No. 1 in the Pac-12, and are undefeated after 10 games. They are incredibly versatile and are fueled by young talent. The Wildcats’ offense is ranked 18th in the nation in field goal efficiency, shooting nearly 50 percent from the field. Their offense is aided by the emergence of freshman forward extraordinaire Stanley Johnson, who leads the team in points per game with 13.8 and has sunk 10 of his 26 3-pointers. Arizona’s defense is also potent. They are averaging 8.7 steals per game and are ranked 53rd in the nation for total points allowed with 59.4. Sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson holds the team high for rebounds and blocks with 60 and 10 on the season, respectively. Expect them to be a real contender for a national championship come April.

Stanford: The 5-2 Cardinal are currently ranked in the bottom half of the Pac-12 after going to the Sweet 16 in the 2014 Tournament. The team is led by their three returning seniors: redshirt senior guard Anthony Brown, redshirt senior center Stefan Nastic and senior guard Chasson Randle. Randle owns the team high for average points at 17.7 and has is 27-27 from the free-throw line this season. Brown leads Stanford in rebounds with 49 on the season and is shooting 45.8 percent from the field. Nastic rounds out the trio of seniors with a team leading 19 assists and 9 blocks while shooting 51.5 percent. While the Cardinal rank in the middle of the pack nationally on both sides of the ball, their senior talent allows them to get the job done and make plays when they need it.

Oregon: The Ducks are one of four teams in the Pac-12 that currently have a 6-3 record. Returning only one starter from the 2013 season, Oregon has five freshmen and two sophomores on its roster. Their lone returning starter, redshirt senior Joseph Young, leads the team in steals with 11 and average points per game with 20.4. The Ducks biggest fault is their inability to stop teams from scoring. Although they rank second in the nation in rebounds per game with 30.8 and 23rd in the nation for blocks with 5.9 per game, they are ranked 222nd in points allowed, allowing an average of 68.6 points per game. Their team shooting percentage is 44.9 percent, but that mediocre number doesn’t reflect the inconsistent shooting that plagues Oregon. While Young is shooting 42.2 percent from the floor, he has shot a measly 24.6 percent from beyond the arc. Freshman forward Dillon Brooks has shown flashes of brilliance, he sank 21 points in a loss to Ole Miss on Dec. 7, and has averaged 14.8 points per game, 2nd best behind Young.

California: The Golden Bears have beaten No. 23 Syracuse and lost to No. 10 Texas on their way to a 9-1 record. Riding their strong defense, the Bears have been able to overcome bouts of shooting woes. Their 45.6 percent shooting average puts them 97th in the nation, but, on defense, Cal is ranked eighth in average rebounds with 29.8 and is allowing an average of 58.6 points per game. Versatile junior guard Tyrone Wallace leads the team in almost every category. He holds the team high for points scored per game (19), shooting percentage (54.4 percent from the floor, 45.5 from the arc), steals (12), assists (42) and rebounds (79), all in 304 minutes of play on the season.

Arizona State: Another one of the 6-3 teams, Arizona has yet to play a ranked opponent this season and are struggling to find their groove so far. They don’t have a true standout player, and have failed to finish games down the stretch. Junior forward Eric Jacobsen posts a team best shooting percentage at 70 percent, sinking 35 of 50 shots from the floor. The team leader in average points per game, junior guard Gerry Blakes, is averaging just 11.8 points per game. The Sun Devils are playing their best basketball at home, where they have collected their six wins thus far, and have a 14-game winning streak dating back to last season. Arizona State will be looking to get some help from UNLV transfer Savon Goodman when he becomes eligible on Dec. 16 for the Sun Devils’ game against Marquette.

Washington: The undefeated Huskies are currently ranked No. 17 in the nation after winning their first seven games, including a win against No. 13 San Diego State. Overrated or not, the Huskies reinvented defense has proven itself an impressive force. They are currently holding teams to a 24.4 percent shooting from the arc and 37.5 percent from the floor. Their opponents’ 3-point shooting average puts the Huskies at fourth in the country. Washington is also ranked fourth in blocks per game with 7.4 and 29th in points allowed with 57.6. Sophomore Nigel Williams-Goss leads the team in points per game with 14.7. Their defensive success is anchored on sophomore center Robert Upshaw, who has recorded 33 blocks and 40 rebounds this season. The defense is what has led the Huskies to their No. 17 ranking and, if they can sustain their success defensively, they may be able to hold onto it.

Colorado: Another 6-3 team in the Pac-12, the Buffaloes distinguish themselves from the others on the arm of junior forward Josh Scott. Scott averages a team leading 15.4 points per game and is shooting 55.8 percent from the floor, adding a team high 18 blocks and 76 rebounds on the season. While the Buffaloes rely on Scott, especially in the key, Scott has had some trouble with consistency recently. In the team’s loss to Colorado State, he scored only two points. Senior guard Askia Booker and junior guard Xavier Johnson have picked up some of the slack left by Scott, contributing 126 and 105 points, respectively. Colorado has switched up its starting lineups four times already this season, perhaps contributing to their inability to be all that productive on offense or defense.

Oregon State: The Beavers are the ever evolving magicians of the Pac-12. At 6-2, they have a projected seat in the upper half of the Pac-12 under first year Head Coach Wayne Tinkle. Tinkle returned only one starter and has two walk-ons on his roster, but the team’s shooting and defense have guided it to a fairly productive non-conference season thus far. Junior guard Gary Payton II is the team’s leading shooter in every category. He has 111 points on the season, averaging 13.9 points per game, and is shooting 55.3 percent from the field and 40 percent from the arc. Payton II also leads the team in rebounds and steals with 75 and 17, respectively.

UCLA: Despite having only five juniors and seniors on their roster, the Bruins are 8-3. All of their losses have come at the hands of ranked teams or teams with more depth. They fell to No. 9 Gonzaga, No. 5 North Carolina and Oklahoma. The Bruins have overcome slow starts on their way to several of their most recent wins. Before the Bruins begin conference play, they will go on the road for three of their next four games. Sophomore guard Bryce Alford leads the team with 198 points, averaging 18 per game. Freshman forward Kevon Looney leads the Bruins in rebounds and blocks with 68 and 18, respectively. The Bruins starting five are solid and competitive, but this next stretch of tough games and road games will test their stamina.

Utah: The Utes stifling defense has earned them a spot at No. 13 in the country. Their record currently stands at 7-2, with losses to No. 16 San Diego State and No. 10 Kansas. Utah has not allowed any of its last seven opponents to shoot any better than 38.1 percent from the field. The Utes’ depth makes them difficult to contend with. Utah’s offense has been off and on. Returning starting senior guard Delon Wright leads the team in nearly every category. Wright has 43 assists, 18 steals, 149 points (averaging 16.2 per game), and shooting 59.8 percent from the floor and 35 percent from the arc. The Utes also boast a powerful emerging weapon in freshman forward Jacob Poeltl who has adjusted to college ball well, contributing an average of 13.3 points and 9.5 rebounds in the past four games.

USC: After starting the season on a win-lose-win-lose roller coaster, the 6-4 Trojans went on a four game winning streak that was snapped on Dec. 13 by the Army Black Knights. Although they have the second-worst record in the Pac-12 currently, four teams sit just above them with one less loss. Freshman guard Jordan McLaughlin has burst onto the scene for the Trojans, leading the team in points with 140 (averaging 14 per game), assists with 54 and steals with 16. McLaughlin has set his career high for points scored in both of UCS’s last two contests. When the Trojans can’t find success to the outside, they rely on their power forwards in sophomores Darion Clark and Nikola Jovanovic and junior Strahinj Gavrilovic. Clark and Jovanovic each have 84 rebounds this season.