Dream chasing

Confetti falling for the 2014 Fall Commencement graduates in Beasley Coliseum, Saturday Dec. 13, 2014.

Beasley Coliseum was filled with reminiscing, cheering, and joyful tears from family and friends at Saturday morning when over 700 degrees were handed out at the WSU 2014 Fall Commencement.

The ceremony consisted of speakers attesting to the challenges and trials of college, including WSU President Elson Floyd.

Floyd addressed the importance of education and all the places in the world an education from WSU can take someone.

Floyd said everyone attending commencement is the essence of a contributing member of society.

Jordan D. Schnitzer, doctor of fine arts at WSU, was a guest speaker at the event, focusing on hope and optimism.

Schnitzer addressed the graduates as the ‘greatest generation,’ a term dedicated to the WWII veterans that defended America’s liberties.

Schnitzer said problems exist but everyone graduating is up to the task, just like those WWII veterans who 75 years ago found resolution to their problems, Schnitzer said.

“You must assume this mantle of responsibility, these issues are yours,” he said.

Schnitzer noted that the traits from the ‘greatest generation’ were inside all those that make up the 2014 Fall graduating class.

Nathan Neale, the Graduate and Professional Student Association president, also spoke at the commencement.

Neale said students earning a bachelor’s degree have attained more education than 70% of the population, those earning a master’s degree acquired more education than 89% of the population, and students earning a doctorate have achieved 99% more education than the rest of the population.

“These accomplishments set you apart from the rest of the work force,” Neale said. “You are all armed to fight for that which you most passionately believe in.”

ASWSU President Jared Powell also spoke to the graduates.

“A degree is more than a piece of paper; it’s the experiences like staying up all night to finish a paper, setting up those group study meeting that never end up working out or slipping on in front of everyone on Pullman ice,” Powell said. “WSU has prepared you even more than you may realize for the journey ahead.”

During the ceremony, provost Dan Bernardo asked students to stand based on their personal achievements. Students in honor societies, first generation college students, students awarded a double degree, those who served in the military or have worked full time throughout their college career to stand and be recognized for their achievements.

After addressing these different personal accolades, Bernardo had nearly every graduate in the Coliseum on their feet.

Bernardo then asked anyone who ever skipped a class to stand, which got all the remaining students in their chairs out of their seats.

“At WSU we are a family and never to forget that there are always people back at WSU that will be there to help if any Coug needs,” Floyd said at the end of the ceremony.